Sign in to follow this  
peter01

A nice ww1 vid

Wow ! I love this stuff. Great find Pete. :clapping:

Glad you liked it catch, it is a good one. FlyR posted it at SimHQ.

I was impresed with the plane putting on a show with a very neat and quick climb, roll then dive ( an Immelman?). Pretty sure its a Spad. Just shows how nimble these planes really were, when the Spad wasn't considered nimble at all! Like powered kites.

Just imagine a dozen or two of these swirling around in a small space of sky trying to shoot one another down? Must have been unreal! And lots different to anything else at any time since.

Edited by peter01

is a nice vid

you have better eyes than me if you can tell its a Spad XIII though :wink:

they seem to be mix and matching aircraft quite freely

dont know what the fella is sitting in with the aerial shots and the camera behind him... looks a little like a Spad but it has that weird filler cap in the headrest

other thing to be aware of when looking at the aircraft maneuvers is that the film is almost certainly sped up a fair bit (silent film), so they were probably a little more sedate then that...

yes you are right silent era film is faster and that aerial sequence could be too. but the rest of the film is slower, smoother...maybe thats been doctored a bit, its certainly amazingly good quality.

no. not eyes, looks like the camera guy went off to capture some flying, and their companions were two spads I think from other shots

weren't there two seater trainer spads? it looks like a spad too

need to have another look...

Edited by peter01

Very cool find! It was pretty cool to see how they manhandled the Aircraft around the field, FE Needs some guys holding onto the wings during startup! LOL! Thanks for posting it, i really enjoy films like that.

Heres the start of the series i have been watching, You can find almost all of the 4 hour documentary on you tube and it has some really cool footage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAUDPB8K2Y...feature=related