Sign in to follow this  
Dagaith

A humble request to modellers

Hi,

I've recently begun 3d modelling and need some help from experienced modellers who make aircrafts for the game. I don't know very well how some parts should be made (mostly cockpit, ailerons, wires and other moving or complex parts) and I thought it would be great to learn by examining an example - a finished a/c for the game.

So, could anyone please provide a Max file of an airplane? You have my word that I will use it only for learning and not for other purposes.

Thanks in advance :)

(My WIP Strutter in attachment, I'm fond of 1916 era and therefore this plane is a must to have)

post-35854-1219931333_thumb.jpg

My congratulations on undertaking a daunting task. Go to this location for a collection of 3dmax models and parts, some of which have been adapted for this game.

http://www.polovski.com/FAQ/mods.htm#3D_MODELS

I'm afraid I am no help at all with this aspect of modding as you already know more about 3dmax than me!

sinbad

i will pm you a pit and airframe after I've finished work ...

What version of MAX do you use? it makes a difference unfortunately, but there are ways around it..

I'm using Max 2009, but I've seen it opening much older files without any problems. Anyway, big thanks to you :)

sinbad: that's quite a nice collection of a/c models there. What I found interesting is that they have really detailed cockpits for a game model and the polycount was also quite high. About 5000 is normal for FE?

I'm using Max 2009, but I've seen it opening much older files without any problems. Anyway, big thanks to you :)

sinbad: that's quite a nice collection of a/c models there. What I found interesting is that they have really detailed cockpits for a game model and the polycount was also quite high. About 5000 is normal for FE?

I'm happy to send one of mine through as well. Not getting a lot of time for modelling at the moment :biggrin: so if you want to take a look at, or use parts of the Strutter I started you're more than welcome.

sent you a PM Dagaith

Max problems are usually only caused going the other way (newer file, older Max)

but I'm on 2008 so should be all good

let me know if there's any problems

and feel free to use anything useful in the way of bits...often its more trouble than its worth though... gauges and stuff may be useful and Laton's strutter will probably prove useful

good luck... :yes:

Wow, p10ppy, that's a real nice looking Voisin. Very nicely detailed. I hope that one day I'll reach the same level of skill with Max :D

Thanks for the model, I have a lot to learn from that.

And Laton, I'd be delighted to see your Strutter work, but I hope you'll finish yours one day - probably mine won't be of best quality, it's my first a/c model after all (but I'll do my best) :)

[quote name=' the polycount was also quite high. About 5000 is normal for FE?

Yes there were some good models in WoW, and we have many now in this game thanks to Capun and his team. Meanwhile regarding poly counts, as I said, 3Dmax is a program which I know virtually nothing about. Perhaps one day, but not this week! LOL

I'm glad you are getting involved though, and I'd be willing to help with skins and other matters where I have more answers than questions.

sinbad

Due to some major flaws in the blueprints I used, I had to restart my model. Made it 2-seater this time. Oh well.

Anyway, I have no idea how the cockpit should look like - eg. how should windglass look like or how should the Vickers MG be mounted etc. So, does anyone have some pictures and information about this?

I've included some pictures of my progress, too.

post-35854-1221566914_thumb.jpg

post-35854-1221566938_thumb.jpg