Sign in to follow this  
sinbad

Alb D.II Jasta 5 Default Skins

This is a default skin set depicting the Albatros D.II as flown by Jasta 5 in 1916 and early 1917. The skins fit the model created by BortdaFarm.

The skins will generate random aircraft identification letters and numbers on the fuselage sides and lower wings as well as werk numbers D.XXX on the vertical stabilizer. The letters and numbers are all authentic, but it was not possible to co-ordinate the two in large part because the squadron often changed the identification number/letters for the same aircraft, e.g. D.1799/16 carried both A and D as identification letters at different times. Nevertheless, the werk numbers are those of aircraft which actually flew in Jasta 5 during this period. Occasionally you will see an aircraft without any ID, as sometimes occurred as aircraft were repainted.

The camo pattern and colors, personal fuselage markings, lower wing colors and national markings all closely depict the emblems and national insignia of the reference aircraft. To the extent possible the skins are based on photographs and reliable research sources, particularly Dan San-Abbot. There were variants of the camo markings in Jasta 5 during this period, most notably with differing colors for aircraft made by three different manufacturers (Albatros, LVG and OAW) and even for the rudder and vertical stabilizer as made by a single company as a result of field modifications. I chose the version which I felt looked best.

Even in 1917, some of the Jasta 5 aircraft still carried the 1916 style national markings, with a full white square surrounding the black crosses, rather than the narrow white surrounds; this set uses the 1917 style bright white surrounds. I may release another set with the earlier series markings.

In response to requests, I have included variations of the national markings used in testing.

This skin set is part of a series presented to acknowledge the dedication and continuing hard work of Peter01 who has given us outstanding flight models for so many other aircraft for First Eagles. Without his work, this model and many others would be just pretty pictures.

September 11, 2008

sinbad

post-6006-1221166478_thumb.jpg

post-6006-1221166487_thumb.jpg

post-6006-1221166506_thumb.jpg

post-6006-1221166516_thumb.jpg

post-6006-1221166543_thumb.jpg