Sign in to follow this  
Bananimal

Satellite Scenery...Is it possible?

Hehehhe, well....Iv'e found out that the NEAT little shareware utility they wanted 20 bucks for only changes the tile to a 256 color tile from a 16.7 million color tile. I can do that in photoshop provided it can load a 32 x 32 km tile. I have another utility I'm going to try as well. Still testing.

Can anyone verify if this sim only loads tiles that are visible? It might just work. Maybe. Depending on how efficient the sim is at loading tiles on the fly.

I don't suspect there will be a need for a lot of ground targets in this arena. Maybe just a range or something like that. No bushes or trees either as most of the fighting will take place above 3000 ft. In theory, it may work but that remainds to be seen. I still have to figure out how to use the terrain editor. I did read the KB tutorial about 6 times already. Some of it isn't too clear. Especially since I'm not using the default Germany tiles. I suspect that I need to creat a texturelist first and then import the DEM?

Welp, this ain't gonna work. The changing the file to a 256 color file destroys the integrity of the image tiles as you might imagine. Unfortunately there is no way to compress a BMP. It's not going to happen. That sucks. There is absolutely no way this sim will run tiles that are 556MB a piece for every 20 square mile tiles. No way. Guess I'll move on. It would have been great though. Thanks for the input fellas.

Edited by Bananimal

Midway terrain is an example of partial use of sat pics. Kure atoll is done completly by sat pics, but for midway islands i used a mix between sat pics and already existing tiles.

The main problem is the size of the files. If you would follow my way to make midway to build, lets say Israel, you would get a size, that it would be impossible to share it via internet at the moment.