Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Dambusters or Halo

I'm looking forward to the new Dam Busters film. I was an electrical fitter on 617 Squadron at RAF Binbrook in the fifties. I worked on Lincolns and Canberras.

Lecky (ken)

How long did the Lincoln remain in RAF service? Guess it was replaced by Canberras during your servicetime... Indeed, such film, even

a remake, sounds a better way to spend money, effort and time than Halo.

It would be good if it included several missions, such as the attack on Tirpitz. Anyway, as there is only

a Lincoln ("Manchester City", i think) remaining in flight conditions, the scenes would be computer generated...

got enough of that with my videogames.

EDIT By the way, welcome to the forum, sir. You must be from my grandad generation, it´s good to see that you stay in front of a computer at your age.

Edited by macelena

When I deployed over the summer, 617 Sqn was there with us and during A/R's we chatted about the upcoming remake. They were excited about the idea, but being that it had been delayed, they were a bit sceptical.

Let's hope for a green light in '09.

-S

P.S. I've been to the Edar Lake Dam and was taken aback with nastalgia imagining the Lancs roaring over.

How long did the Lincoln remain in RAF service? Guess it was replaced by Canberras during your servicetime... Indeed, such film, even

a remake, sounds a better way to spend money, effort and time than Halo.

It would be good if it included several missions, such as the attack on Tirpitz. Anyway, as there is only

a Lincoln ("Manchester City", i think) remaining in flight conditions, the scenes would be computer generated...

got enough of that with my videogames.

EDIT By the way, welcome to the forum, sir. You must be from my grandad generation, it´s good to see that you stay in front of a computer at your age.

Hi

We are getting mixed up here. The Lancaster did all the work, the Lincoln started squadron service too late for the war and was going to be a part of Tiger force for the bombing of Japan. The Japs surrendered and put paid to the idea, however the Lincoln soldiered on until 1951 when it was replaced by the English Electric Canberra B2. Later on came the B6, which we took to Malaya to bomb the terr's. I have quite a few humerous tales from the RAF and the Army, yes I was a glutton for punishment, I did both arms of the services! I can give time to the Navy as well!!!! Yes, I am of your grandads generation, I will be 79 next birthday!

Lecky (Ken)

Hi Ken.

Welcome to CA !

Always nice to have some tales from the RAF, especially the era you mention.

The Lincoln, oh my...whatever were they thinking with that awful new bomb aimers nose-glazing ? :biggrin:

There was an interesting article in the recent Int'l Air Power Review about how Argentina got some Lincolns and Lancasters post-war, making them the only nation in S America with strategic bombers. Of course, they were only really ever used against themselves with the various coups and rebellions in the 50s.