So all I bought was IL2 Sturmovik. Am I still able to play online or do I have to buy the expansions (Pacific Fighters and Bird of Prey)?

I think thats the one I have. IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. That the same one you are talking about? I got it from a digital download so I didnt get the box or anything. Does it include the Pacific heroes and the other expansion or should I get those? You know anything about online play?

IL-2 Sturmovik was the original game. I doubt many people play that one anymore. Only patches up to 1.2 or something like that.

Then there were a bunch of add-ons. Aces Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters, and some others.

Then they released IL-2 1946, which is IL-2 with almost all of the add-ons (including Pacific Fighters) all combined into one awesome mega install of WWII goodness. In addition to the additional aircraft and theaters, all the other gameplay and graphics enhancements of all the add-ons are included. It patches up to 4.08 or 4.09 beta, or it can have an unspeakable mod applied that does some other stuff (oops, did I speak of the unspeakable...?).

If you want to play online, you hopefully have 1946. Otherwise, it might be hard to find people. Since 1946 is only $20, you probably wasted your money if you bought anything else (I did that too...).

Edited by malibu43

Awesome! I definitly got 1946. I only paid $10 off a digital download which I thought was nice. I have version 4.08 too so thats means Im good to go. The only thing I gotta figure out now is how to play online. when I click the multiplayer button and search nothing happens. Is it like CFS where you play online through a website like msngamingzone.com or something like that?

Hyperlobby is the util most used for Il-2 I believe.

Yeah, I found that last night. Now Im having problems with Hyperlobby. Figures with my luck. It says that Hyperlobby cant find the game installation folder :( Hyperlobby seemed extremely cool though. I cant wait to get it working right so I can fly against pilots with functioning brains. Anyone got any suggestions to get me up and running?

P.S. I appreciate all the help I have gotten from this forum. Its definitly one of the best Ive been on.

Awesome! I definitly got 1946. I only paid $10 off a digital download which I thought was nice. I have version 4.08 too so thats means Im good to go. The only thing I gotta figure out now is how to play online. when I click the multiplayer button and search nothing happens. Is it like CFS where you play online through a website like msngamingzone.com or something like that?

There is a version 4.09 patch too. You can get it at Mission for Today I believe.