Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

How to edit .HFD file...

I have added an "Ia Drang Valley" in my vietnamSEA_targets.ini. Unfortunately, I was not able to find anything that resembles a valley anywhere near where I think it should be. So I did my best to find something that would work.

However, I was wondering what tool and how much work is required to edit an HFD file. What would I need to do to just raise the terrain a little on either side of my "valley", so that I could call it a valley without the quotes? Or maybe just add a couple hills...?

Thanks in advance!

PS - Here are the locations of my "Ia Drang Valley":

[TargetArea151]

Name=Ia Drang Valley (East)

Position=646193,333766

Radius=300

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=Friendly

[TargetArea152]

Name=Ia Drang Valley (West)

Position=634234,333469

Radius=300

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=Enemy

Open the HFD in the TE, export as BMP, export your color pallette, convert to 24 bit color, draw your valley, convert back to original pallette, import BMP back into TE... Relevel airfields, put back in game folder... (of course, you backed up the original HFD, didn't you?) Easy...

Open the HFD in the TE, export as BMP, export your color pallette, convert to 24 bit color, draw your valley, convert back to original pallette, import BMP back into TE... Relevel airfields, put back in game folder... (of course, you backed up the original HFD, didn't you?) Easy...

Easy... yeah right... I suppose I'll give it a try. Two more questions, though. Can you further clarify (explain) "export color pallette" and "convert to 24 bit color"?

thanks!

You'll need to learn about color values and the number of colors available... just do a search in your graphics program for "indexed 256 color" and RGB True color" or 24-bit color... Also, you do know that to level airfields within the TE, you'll need a proper list of airfields, grid and sizes... You can build it from the *_targets.ini list...

You'll need to learn about color values and the number of colors available... just do a search in your graphics program for "indexed 256 color" and RGB True color" or 24-bit color... Also, you do know that to level airfields within the TE, you'll need a proper list of airfields, grid and sizes... You can build it from the *_targets.ini list...

Hmmm... my "graphics program" is MS Paint.

I think I'll just stick with my Ia Drang "not so" Valley for now. I have just increased respect for what all you terrain builders do.

:good: