Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

Quad core question

I have a AMD X2 5400+ Cpu running stock at 2.9ghz. There is a nice deal on a Phenom quad core AMD Phenom 9500 @ 2.20GHz at Tigerdirect. The cache on this cpu per cpu is only 512kb. Plus it only runs at 2.2 ghz. My present cpu has a bigger cache and faster at 2.9ghz. If 95% of the programs Im running dont even take advantage of the dual core, what would be the advantage of buying the quad? Do games like Unreal Tournament 3 and SF2 or Armed Assualt use dual core or quad core? Anyone know? This bundle at Tigerdirect comes with a XFX nForce 750a Motherboard for $200. I cant afford top end but would like a better Mobo that does SLI and quad core and still use my DDR2 800mhz RAM.

Another quick question...what is the Black edition cpus by AMD? What is their advantage? Thanks in advance. Man, theres a lot about this new stuff I dont know. Been perusing Toms hardware but some of my basic questions dont seem to have an answer there.

Edited by pcpilot

3rd wire sims do not utilize dual or quad technology, very few games as yet make use of this technology. it is used for multi-tasking

that said the future will bring games and sims that make use of two or four processors. as far as your system goes if it aint

broke don't fix it. Do some investigating on line at some of the tech sites. I was surprised at the stuff I found out.

Edited by Viper6

The only game I've got that I 'know' uses multi-cores is FSX, you can see it with the performance monitor. Other than that the advantage I've found is the ability to run more programs concurrently, but that's normally because I'll have 3DStudio, photoshop and a few other things open at the same time.

Reference the AMD quad-cores there's apparently a problem with the ones ending in 00 which was rectified in the models ending 50, it's nothing terminal they're just not as fast as they should be, mines a 9500 so I'm not overjoyed by this! The Black Edition is nothing special as I understand it, just designed to be sold to overclockers etc. rather than OEMs.