Sign in to follow this  
Lt. James Cater

PSU Replacement Question.

Sometime tommorrow i'm going to start work on repairing my E-machines T-3120. I've gotten a new hard drive (WD Caviar Blue 320GB) for it and replacing it is pretty much cut and dried.

What's bugging me is replacing the PSU. Since E-machines is infamous for it's lousy PSUs, i figured i might as well replace it too. The one thing that is making me wonder is the cable disconnect step. I understand removing the power cable from the PSU. After all, you are replacing it. What i don't get is why you have to disconnect the cables from every point in the PC. You know...Motherboard, DVD player, etc, etc.

Why not just leave them connected while replacing the PSU?

because it supplies power to them and you pretty much gotta disconnect them to replace it?

did i win?

The question i asked was rather stupid since i asked before looking at the PSU.

I assumed that the PSU was similar to a module in which you simply disconnected the cables and that's it. Little did i realize that the cables don't detach from the PSU, but originate in it.

Sorry all for the waste of time and space.

Sometime tommorrow i'm going to start work on repairing my E-machines T-3120. I've gotten a new hard drive (WD Caviar Blue 320GB) for it and replacing it is pretty much cut and dried.

What's bugging me is replacing the PSU. Since E-machines is infamous for it's lousy PSUs, i figured i might as well replace it too. The one thing that is making me wonder is the cable disconnect step. I understand removing the power cable from the PSU. After all, you are replacing it. What i don't get is why you have to disconnect the cables from every point in the PC. You know...Motherboard, DVD player, etc, etc.

Why not just leave them connected while replacing the PSU?

You must disconnect the POWER cables from all the aforementioned, as they are part of the PSU's harness. You may be able to get away with not disconnecting some, if not all. of the data cables, for access reasons. This usually only applies to PATA ribbon cables. SATA cables are hardly ever in the way.

Of course, there are PSU's you can buy which are modular, like the one I have. As long as you replace it with a model with the same style plug I can just disconnect all the cables from the PSU and swap it out without having to mess with the connectors on my drives and mobo.

Of course, there are PSU's you can buy which are modular, like the one I have. As long as you replace it with a model with the same style plug I can just disconnect all the cables from the PSU and swap it out without having to mess with the connectors on my drives and mobo.

If i had a fancier setup i would get a modular PSU.

But for a stock E-machines? I really don't think so.