Sign in to follow this  
Viper6

Battle of Leyte Gulf

I just finished watching This battle on The History Channel and I'm still amazed at the task Force of Destroyers that went up

against Japanese Heavy Cruisers and Battleships and got them to withdraw. The Big E in every major battle in the pacific after Pearl. WOW

just amazing!!

Edited by Viper6

Now the story of night ops by the Big E is on. This is great stuff!

What got me was our main force chasing a decoy leaving a big hole for the japanese big ships to exploit.

What got me was our main force chasing a decoy leaving a big hole for the japanese big ships to exploit.

My grandfather was a sailor aboard one of the Destroyers that chased north. Mind you, at the time, they had no idea that it was a decoy force. Two or three fleet carriers were part of the decoy force and at the time seemed to be a prize worth leaving the beach head unprotected for. At closer range, it was clear there were no aircraft on the decks, and so followed one of the few true naval turkey shoots in history. Gramps told me they were on deck watching the carriers burn as hundreds of rounds of all calibers were poured into them. This was the same time the Yamamoto group was stopped by some destroyers, baby flat-tops, and some of the bravest men to walk this earth.

My grandfather was a sailor aboard one of the Destroyers that chased north. Mind you, at the time, they had no idea that it was a decoy force. Two or three fleet carriers were part of the decoy force and at the time seemed to be a prize worth leaving the beach head unprotected for. At closer range, it was clear there were no aircraft on the decks, and so followed one of the few true naval turkey shoots in history. Gramps told me they were on deck watching the carriers burn as hundreds of rounds of all calibers were poured into them. This was the same time the Yamamoto group was stopped by some destroyers, baby flat-tops, and some of the bravest men to walk this earth.
As I watched I thought why send the entire group to chase? leave a few big ships to defend. Those men in Taffy 3 fought like supermen specially that first

Destroyer that charged into the heavy cruisers.