Sign in to follow this  
Rodent

Ultra Durable my ass

My motherboard is fried, again, for the 5th time in as many months. GigaByte Ultra Durable 2 series. Never had any trouble with any others but this type just keeps burning itself out. I have switched PSU, RAM, CPU, and video cards, but they keep burning up. The only thing I have not changed is the case. If they have been victims of power surges I still would think the ultra durable ones should have lasted longer than the not durable ones on the same electrical sockets. Getting a bit frustrating to say the least.

My motherboard is fried, again, for the 5th time in as many months. GigaByte Ultra Durable 2 series. Never had any trouble with any others but this type just keeps burning itself out. I have switched PSU, RAM, CPU, and video cards, but they keep burning up. The only thing I have not changed is the case. If they have been victims of power surges I still would think the ultra durable ones should have lasted longer than the not durable ones on the same electrical sockets. Getting a bit frustrating to say the least.

Quick question, I know this is going to sound stupid, but do you ground yourself first before handling the parts inside the computer (where you touch the metal part of the interior of the case before and while working on the internals of the computer - yes that means you have to do the work with one hand)? If you don't, you can create a static electricity build-up that can cause "unstable" power surges throughout whatever components that you have touched, causing them to "fry".

strange he should post thi, my main computer is down, as it began to randomly shut down on me. I happened to glance at the mobo and the main plug on the atx power supply , four of the wires in the plug itself had begun to cook. not sure if its a bad power supply or its a mobo problem yet, as I havent torn into it yet , its a gigabyte k7 triton

Quick question, I know this is going to sound stupid, but do you ground yourself first before handling the parts inside the computer (where you touch the metal part of the interior of the case before and while working on the internals of the computer - yes that means you have to do the work with one hand)? If you don't, you can create a static electricity build-up that can cause "unstable" power surges throughout whatever components that you have touched, causing them to "fry".

I have one of those wriststrap things that is grounded. Also the latest motherboard was working fine for almost 2 months before it just decided to fry itself.

strange he should post thi, my main computer is down, as it began to randomly shut down on me. I happened to glance at the mobo and the main plug on the atx power supply , four of the wires in the plug itself had begun to cook. not sure if its a bad power supply or its a mobo problem yet, as I havent torn into it yet , its a gigabyte k7 triton

That main plug is where most of mine have fried too, when it wasn't a capacitor that burned.

Oops... I read this thinking someone was a about to become a dad unexpectedly. :biggrin: That sucks dude, but it could be a whole lot worse!

Oops... I read this thinking someone was a about to become a dad unexpectedly. :biggrin: That sucks dude, but it could be a whole lot worse!

Oh gawd :rolleyes:

First off, how much power is your motherboard able to support? You can have too much power. 2nd, does the power supply have the right conversion setup for the outlet that it's plugging into? If the outlet that it's plugging into delivers a stronger power than what the powersupply is able to receive, it can overload your components and the power supply (i found that out the hard way with a X-Box 360 in Iraq). If you're using a power strip, make sure that it also is setup for the right amount of power output. Also, make sure that you plug it in correctly into the wall. If you insert the wrong prong into the outlet, you can reverse the polarity charge that's being fed into the power supply and cook your system.

Edited by serverandenforcer

I'd reseat the mobo and make sure there's no inadvertent grounding going on. A piece of the case sticking up where it shouldn't maybe. A spot where the case has something OTHER than ground, maybe one of the wires for the lights is touching the case?

Frankly, since you've replaced everything else I WOULD replace the case.

Ultra Durable my ass....

Ohh your talking about a mb

not latex..nevermind

But yeah

You need to look into a new powersupply or case. I think what maybe the problem is that part of the case or a piece of metal is touching the motherboard while it is booted up. In addition make sure you have a decent PSU and ram which is in the proper config for the board. Ram put in the wrong way or not rated for the board can easily fry it.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. I have a motherboard from a different supplier now. Also, yes, I have inspected the case thoroughly and nothing is touching where it should not. I have done this each time I replaced the mobo. I also keep spare cable ends strapped out of the way. I hope this will last a bit longer now.

Just came to mind another incident where I had a video card malfunction on me pretty early, and then it came to light that one of the people in the store I bought it from handled some components very badly and was likely to be the cause of my problem. I don't know if it means anything but getting one from somewhere else feels better at least.

...please don't burn up or explode