Sign in to follow this  
Beerthirty

Drop to Desktop

I too get dropped when hitting m, now that I'm aware of it, I only noticed it on scramble missions. I'll have to try on a diferent mission.

Using the previously posted utility and setting it to "automatic", as well as going into the task manager and setting affinity to CPU1 only, the game still crashes to desktop (actually, back to the OFF frontend) when I hit the "M" key to bring up the map.

Sometimes the map works, sometimes it doesn't. If I go back in to re-fly the same mission (the mission the front end gives me after a crash is always the same one), I crash every time I try to use the map.

I run Intel, but before Core2, I was researching AMD X2, pros and cons and a majority of the cons revolved around what you're experiencing setting "affinity". Some of the utilities that do also affect executables and can cause stange bumps in different kinds of games. I do remember a tiny utility, Affinity.zip that doesn't mess with anything but nulling a CPU core. It's tiny at 51k. I googled and found it's still up on Filefront.

Maybe it'll help.

Running 3.65 on air since 12/06. My AMD 4000 single is now used for "retro" where I run 66.93 vid for games because NVIDIA BORKED 8-bit support.

beerthirty..

open up windows explorer...(not internet explorer ) start>programfiles>accesories>windows explorer

got to tools > folder options

click on the view tab

at minimum,,,,deselct "hide extensions for known file types" ( otherwise files like cfs3.exe show up as cfs3)

also suggets show hidden files and folders. otherwise eventually you will be searching for a file that is right there,,but you cant see it.

up to you if you want to show protected system files, but i always do,,,

Beerthirty, you don't need to bother with Alt/tab and cfs3.exe, I believe. All you have to do is set CPU Contol in Automatic mode right before you start OFF. The program will do the rest. To do that just right-click on CPU-Contol icon(buttom right corner of your screen)then go to MODE, then Automatic.

S! All,

I D/L the CPU Controll and followed Messarounds instructions. I now no longer DTD. This seems to have fixed my problem. I have flown 7 or 8 missions missions successfully. Thanks a bunch.

I have been leaving the utility on, mainly because I forget to turn it off when done flying. :) All works fine.

Also, sitting_duck. I followed your directions and now cn see the cfs3.exec file. Thank you!

Thank you all for yor help and info.

Salute!

Beerthirty

Edited by Beerthirty