Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Second install of SF2?

Hi,

I'm curious, is it possible to have second install of Strike Fighters 2, that doesn't check for mod folders in :\Documents and Settings\ ?

I did second install today, but it also loads custom stuff added to these folders.

Bottom of options.ini there has the option to switch mods off, I think. Second install gives 0 benefit.

In the Options.INI, Edit this......

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE <<<< Turn it to "FALSE" and it won't read any Mods. It'll revert to the "Core".

Directory=C:\My Documents\331KillerBee\ThirdWire\STrikeFighters2\

Edited by 331Killerbee

Thanks guys, found it :ok:

But how can we have multiple installs then? Let's say I'm going to do Tainted Cigar 2 SF2-based install (only this! without other mods, planes, terrains etc. for testing purpose), but as my two instances of SF2 checks in the Drive:\Documents and Settings\ for Options.ini, how can they distinguish the MOD patches? Or can I drop the options.ini to the installation root of the given install like we used to? Or maybe I don't fully understand? :dntknw:

I even go much futher. In My StrikeFighters2 Folder in My Documents, I have several Folders that are labled like, for example, WWII,OTC,DS Mod.....ect. They contain an Option.INI that points to a specific "Modded Folder". This way, One can have different kinds of Mods, But using the "Core" Game. It eleminates Multiple Installs that Take up HD Space that otherwise uses the ThirdWire Basic Game and .Cats anyway. All one has to do is pick the Option.INI that they want to use, and put it in the StrikeFighters2 Folder. (Have a Back-Up of the Original is always handy)

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

This is one of My Examples.....From an Option.INI

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Directory=F:\STrikeFighters2 MODS\ <<<<<< Where that Modded Folder is located on My Computer.

Here's another.....

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Directory=F:\OTC\ <<<<<<<<<<<< Location.

Edited by 331Killerbee

Creating many different Folders (9) did create a Problem though, My StrikeFighters2 Folder in "My Documents" grew from 9kbs to a whopping 63kbs in size.........lol

Ok, KB, I think now all I need is to do simple batch files placed on my desktop that'll automatically rename the requested, install-specific options.ini in my Thirdwire\StrikeFighters2\ folder prior to launching the "core" sim :smile:

Saves around ~1200 MB on each specific install (the core files), the best solution would be a simple mod launcher (ARMA comes to mind), maybe JSGME :clapping:

This Community can always use useful Tools. You do this........And You'd be da' MAN! The .INI Encoding is now Unicode. A simple Application that Edits two Lines in the Options.INI......Mods, True or False. And Location of Folder. Might have to have one for each OS.......I don't know...

XP's File Path....My Documents\ UserName\ ThirdWire\ StrikeFighters2\

Vista.......UserName\ Saved Games\ ThirdWire\ StrikeFighters2\

Vista Users, Check Me on that..........

Edited by 331Killerbee