Sign in to follow this  
CowboyTodd41

Reducing Aaa Effectiveness

Not to make the game more "easy" but for historical accuracy reduce the aim and power of the AAA. When I watched a thing tonight about Hanoi and Haiphong it said there hundreds of AAA batteries firing at the jets. Right now in SF it takes one hit to down a jet <_< And down low it's pretty hyper accurate. Come to think of it, even the 20mm Mk.12's and the .50's on the American planes are like that. This should be worked on, no?

I tend to agree. I cant make more than two or three passes before I get tagged. Then again, maybe thats the problem. I perhaps should do one fast pass and drop everything. But that doesnt leave much room for accuracy on my part. Hmmmm...I wonder how you could tweak that ingame. Is it hard coded? Or is there an ini file somewhere we can screw up?

Edited by pcpilot

Guest capun

There are a couple of things to look (modify), but just in case there have been some posts on this issue at SimHQ.

First lets look at the issue of planes being too fragile. One cannon hit and down they go.

If you look at the data ini files, there are variables called minextension and Maxextension. Those variables seem to be the "damage area" of that particular node. If you remove those variables you can hit the ground in a dive, dive underground, pull up and come out of the ground. The variables define a box around the node, think of the min value to be one corner and the max value the opposite corner of a rectangular cube. Reducing the size of the cube will lessen the chance to get hit.

If I remember the thread at SimHQ the fuel tanks were the main issue with the planes blowing up

The second area that may require changes is the armor value in the data ini file. The armor can be increased to resist damage. I believe this topic is also discussed in the thread at SimHQ.

The third area that can be changed is the weapon/gun variables If you open the Gun Editor you can see there is an accuracy and reliablity values. For example the 20mm Vulcan accuracy is 50%, you can make it 25% and make it a little unreliable. Also you can change the warhead size, I think this variable is used with the armor values to figure out damage, but I am not sure.

The weapons (Missiles) have similar variables.

I followed capun's advise and altered the reliability and the accuracy. Use the gun editor, it is much easier (for me at least) than editing the data.ini and has an affect on all aircraft instead of editing each one.

It was also interesting to note how high the accuracy was set on the commie equipment. Personally, hardly seems like a conscript in a desert nation using 1950's technology second-hand Soviet equipment operating in the sand and sun could ever achieve an accuracy rate in the 90% club. Do yourself a favor and make it more realistic.

Cheers