Sign in to follow this  
PG_Raptor

Terrain Textures

Hey, I've got a quick question. I've notied in many modern sims that terrain textures have a bunch of black dots on them. LOMAC, FS2004, and Jet Thunder all have them. I'm guessing their purpose is to add to the sense of speed at low altitude, am I correct? I mean, they don't deteriate the look of the texture much, even if they're not there in RL.

Discuss.

Wondering if you are referring to "noise"? In the old days, when you got down low, the immersion fell apart because ground textures were low res and blurry. Really looked like crap. One thing they have done to improve that is to add "noise". Gives you some well defined textures even at low alt and really adds to the feeling of speed. Either that or you have the flu. :D

nope, no flu :)

Ok, maybe black spots isn't a good description. How about this, a large contrast in brightness in the textures. Some examples:

LOMAC:

Arty%2001.jpg

Jet Thunder:

pucara3.jpg

See how the brightness contrast creates sort of a water looking texture? Its not just a high resolution photo, but the contrast is there.

Edited by PG_Raptor

Dang, Raptor, those shots look GREAT to me. I think the answer is to fly faster. You won't notice anything much if you maintain at least Mach 2.0. :D