Sign in to follow this  
Luiz Carlos

Medals?

OK Rickitycrate, the large row of medals are as follows, from left to right:

Distinguished Service Cross, Indian Campaign Medal, Spanish War Medal, Cuban Occupation Medal, Philippine Campaign Medal, Mexican Border Service Medal, Allied Victory Medal with clasps, French Croix de Guerre with Palm

That is quite a long and impressive record of service for whomever those medals belonged to. They span over 20 years.

Cheers!

Lou

Wow, Lou that didn't take long, you know your stuff. Do you know buttons from uniforms? I have some of those and leaf pins. Here

I have a bit of free time at the moment, so that is why I can get back to you ASAP on these Sir. :smile:

To continue with the ribbon rows you picture: The short row shows the American Defense Medal, and Bronze Star, (and they are not in the correct order), and the long row shows the American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle East Campaign Medal with bronze campaign star, and the WW2 Victory Medal. These are both WW2 groupings and are not for the same individual as the row of medals, (or at least I HIGHLY doubt that they are).

Cheers!

Lou

...the small bird pin is the "Ruptured Duck" from WW2...

Cheers!

Lou

Hey Lou,

Is this the same Ruptured Duck from the Doolittle raid on Tokyo?

Jammer

Actually Jammer, the "Ruptured Duck" was worn on returning WW2 soldier's uniforms, (first as a cloth badge and later as a pin), to show they had been honorably discharged form active service. It was to indicate to the MP's that all these returning GI's were legit and not AWOL.

So...no...not the same as the Tokyo Raiders Ruptured Duck.

Cheers!

Lou

Thank you so much Lou, you are helping me a great deal to sort this out. Maybe kind of fun tho on this cold and cloudy day in Minnesota?

It is at that Rickitycrate. :smile:

Now, let's see if I can finish up for you here Sir.

The small “E” pin with stripes is, I believe, a WW2 European Service Commemorative pin that was meant to be worn on civilian clothing. And I think the Naval Ordnance Development Award pin is also a civilian apparel item.

The medal with the blue-and-white ribbon I am quite sure is a WWI “commemorative” medal and as such was not issued by the US Government, but more likely by a state or local organization. The medal to the right of it in the same picture is another WWI Allied Victory Medal, (US version), and the one below that is simply the obverse of the same. The spearhead-shaped medal in the lower left is another “commemorative” I think, and might not be a medal at all but in fact a watch fob.

In your picture of the brass, the silver and gold leaves are collar brass for US Major and US Lt. Colonel. The buttons are standard US Army WW2 uniform items. The “US” disc is more US Army collar brass, as is the “CU”, (though for the life of me I can’t remember what branch that one is for). The crossed rifles are the 1st Infantry, and the crossed cannons are for the Field Artillery, and again these are both US Army collar brass items.

Hope all this info helps you out Sir.

Cheers!

Lou