Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

What is your Fighter Pilot personality?

The problem when over enemy teritorry is that I am not leader. So I cant really zig zag or I will lose my flight. This is one feature I would love to see in OFF: Evasive manouevers from the AI, when under AA fire..

But in general I must start being more defensive or I will not live to see a pilot reach even 17 hours..

Yesterday, I made a flight like that, Creaghorn. All switched "OFF".

I like the feeling much better, of course.

But it came to a nasty disadvantage, when I tried to fight a Nupe 17 (in my DIII).

Whilst I couldn't find HIM half the time - despite TrackIR - the AI pilot knew exactly my position, always.

Whereas, in real life, the other pilot would also loose visual contact sometimes, and need to get new orientation.

So, I switched "labels" on (but didn't feel good with it).

I assume, you would have tried to climb away from that; to get full overview about the situation.

And I know, that's what I should have done, instead of turning with a Nupe.

i would have climbed.

when i lose the enemy out ouf sight i try to climb to get a better overview. if the enemy can see me with me not seeing him, he at least has to climb to my altitude.

if i don't see any enemy anymore i hit the rejoin button and go on with my patrol. maybe my squad joins, maybe not.

if i have the feeling i am getting stalked (constantly scanning my back anyway, but the enemy might be in my blind spot), near facilities you can hear AA anyway. sometimes the selfexploding balloon bug can warn you also.

sometimes i switch off my engine for a second or two (although not knowing if realistic) just to check if i can hear some engine.

sometimes i just suddenly swerve around to check if i am facing one head to head. for the ground units of course it looks stupid or beeing a show off, when somebody is performing manouvers with no enemy in sight.

actually i think there are moments when AI is distracted or loses you out of sight. or at least he behaves like that. it happend sometimes we we circling around each other, trying to get to the rear. suddenly he is straighten up and climbing, mostly because i had a stall almost or beeing forced to break up the turning fight because sensing another enemy is about to sandwich me between my victim and himself. i am sometimes able then to follow him and hit him from behind. then he again starts to be evasive.

don't know.

they main problem still is the bionic sight of the enemy. maybe he can focus only on one or two things at a time, wich is realistic. so maybe he actually is able to lose you. at least when somebody else of your mates or another enemy is near. but if focusing you again, and then seeing you from 4 miles and stalk you, that's too much.

what i forgot to say, always when entering the theatre i zoom the overall view one notch and stick with it. the size of the enviroment and houses and aircrafts...is IMHO more realistic then. maybe this also helps to see some specks more clearly.

Very "professional", indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I could have climbed. With a Nupe 17 somewhere underneath your tail, that feels very uncomfortable.

Speed, I think, is a little better on the Albatros DIII. So perhaps I should have done a full speed escape, followed

by a climb - might be the only thing to do, cause turning with her is also suicidal.

The one problem with AI throughout the computer world, is that they are either stupid (not much fun at all) or they are superhuman in some respect.

OFF has got it as near as possible, given the software's limitations.... But we will always get peppered by some smartass AI pilot with his X-Ray Googles on! :smile:

OFF has got it as near as possible, given the software's limitations...

Absolutely, Widowmaker! And we must not forget, that AI too has it's limitations.

It can never think of clever quick reactions on their manoeuvering.

Flying the "Creaghorn way", should probably make us last much longer.

Only problem: my impatience, and my desire to fight, at all cost.

I could use the sentence of Guynemer, who once said fully ernest: "I shall not survive."

Being a flight sim and OFF newbie I have found this thread fascinating and enlightening. At this stage I am very cautious, I stay with my squad, I don't go off alone. To date I have about 6 hours of flight time (7 missions) but only one confirmed kill and that one I got by coming in from above and behind a Brit who was tailing a squadmate. Everyone talks about this trackir device, I'm not clear on what this is exactly other than for looking around. Is there a website for checking it out?

Olham,

If you're losing sight of an EA playing in Creaghorn-mode you could always try snapping Padlock On then Off again, assuming you can still target the EA even w/o TAC. If it works it'd be like catching a glimpse out of the corner of your eye, which TrackIR can't simulate, even as good as it is.

Very "professional", indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I could have climbed. With a Nupe 17 somewhere underneath your tail, that feels very uncomfortable.

Speed, I think, is a little better on the Albatros DIII. So perhaps I should have done a full speed escape, followed

by a climb - might be the only thing to do, cause turning with her is also suicidal.

thank you for your compliments, olham

i would say it depends of factors of is it one on one and if it's over friendly territory. if over enemy territory or more then one, i would go. if over friendly territory i would climb and circle above like an eagle. if he is alone you can dive on him and immediately zoom up again, being careful not getting involved in a turnfight and throwing your advantage away.

i would also look to have an open field nearby in the case he is able to hurt you and you have to land. if it's over a large forest or something, i'll leave, meet him again tomorrow.

Olham,

If you're losing sight of an EA playing in Creaghorn-mode you could always try snapping Padlock On then Off again, assuming you can still target the EA even w/o TAC. If it works it'd be like catching a glimpse out of the corner of your eye, which TrackIR can't simulate, even as good as it is.

creaghorn-mode...lol :blush2:

i'm honored.

just trying to get the most realism out of it. shorter AI-sight and more different two seater types or bombers in the air are IMHO the only "important" things which could be improved. and i am confident they will in future addons. what a wonderful, breathtaking sim.