Sign in to follow this  
capn rick

NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600 VID CARD

ARRRGHHHH!!!! JUST got OFF, Track IR IV, Med Air War, Korea, Europe, etc etc. up and working just fine for about 3 months when the VIDEO DRIVER failed (during a close chase between meself in a Voss painted DR 1 and several hapless frogs.

After researching the problem-I find that NVIDIA knew about such failures due to defective workmanship for months-even took a $ hit on cards 'still in warranty' natch-mine dropped warranty coverage in OCTOBER 08.

GRRRR!!!! HP Parts website lists the thing at $580 US.

*&^#%$ suffering major withdrawal-even pulled lead on a landing FedEX MD 10 last night.

capn rick

flightless in memphis

Sorry about your video card. On the plus side, you can pick up a decent card for not too much $$ (< $200). I'm running an nvidia 9800GT w/1GB vram. My OFF settings are 543351 and I get pretty decent framerates (rarely see it drop below 30). But with your rig, your mileage (framerates) may vary. Good luck...

(of couse you may not be too fond of nVidia at this point :rolleyes: )

Edited by steve58

You bought the card new and it's just 3 months old?

No no no. I bought a new HP laptop with the card in it in Oct 07. Wanted the fastest card with most vid memory I could get-with CFS 3 and all the available versions in mind. just got all the bits operational for OFF, etc around the 1st of this year. Warranty expired on video card 1 year from date of purchase.

I'm screwed.

laptop video cards canna be upgraded...

thats what I get for listening to the missus when we replaced the CompaQ workstation I had before.

capn rick

*&^#%$ suffering major withdrawal-even pulled lead on a landing FedEX MD 10 last night

Excuse me?

FC

I'm running a 8600GT DDR2 1gig card since '08 and I'm on max settings for all WOx and no problems ever :biggrin::good:

Excuse me?

FC

Ye see, my domicile is under the flight path for FedEx Heavies using the N/S runways at nite. there is a convenient arrow straight river runnning due east/west a mile or so north of my home. they follow that till they turn on a long final. I find myself looking 6 a/c lengths ahead for the aiming point. :dntknw:

Well, no kiddin. Just as long as you're not one of those idiots thinking pointing a green laser (or anything that shoots) at an aircraft on final is cute...yes, it has happened.

I don't take kindly to it, especially as a FDX MEM based A300 pilot.

FC

well then, waggle your wings the next night you pass over Bartlett, TN. I'll be down there staring at the desk where my computer was. shipping the laptop back to HP for 'repair' (replacement of the nvidious card with another invidious card-I presume)

may even try to put some of the laptop pieces back together tonight, before shipping it back. :rofl: