Sign in to follow this  
Wildfowler

Good Dogfights

The dogfights in FE seem very close to how veterans described aerial battles.

A whirling mass of aircraft then suddenly alone in the sky!

My Wifes Grandfather flew Camels and SE5a's in WW1 (started as an observer/gunner on FE's) and although he died when my wife was only 14 years old she can remember him telling her that air combat was not like it is seen in the movies.

He told her that once you attacked an enemy flight or they attacked you it became uncontrolled and confused. He remembered enemy aircraft briefly flashing across his sights and firing off a burst, no time for deflection shooting, other machines, enemy or friendly screaming past, he said you didnt pick an enemy you just jinked about hoping nobody picked on you!.

Then the sky would clear and maybe you would see an enemy aircraft and line up an attack. As long as nobody was lining up on you.

He ended the war with 11 confirmed kills having served from 1916 to the end. He stayed in the RAF after the war leaving in the 1930's as a Group Captain returning on Reserve duties in WW2.

He served with Albert Ball and knew him as a friend but said Ball looked for trouble, he did the job but did not look for fights. Ball paid the ultimate price.

I think FE does capture that feeling of confusion in the dogfights and I have to say like eal life you rarely know who shot you down!!

FE does give us a rough idea of what a real pilot went through (minus the G forces and knowing that you might die at any moment). But we can see how easy it is to lose situational awareness in such furballs. And that's a nice link to history you have there! Any old photographs you might scan for us?

I will see what we have. We have one somewhere of her Grandfather with Albert Ball and another of him in a Camel. My wife also has a paper knife made from the wing strut of a camel that shall we say came to grief through pilot error on landing!!

I have also found out he was shot down twice. Once in France and had to get a nearby Artillery unit to telephone for a tender to pick him up and the second time was in Iraq after the war when he was bombing Kurdish tribesman in a Bristol Fighter. They got him with rifle fire!! Luckily he managed to glide to a safe place before landing. Apparently they carried "Goolie chits" that you were supposed to give to tribesman if you were captured. This promised them money for your safe return. The tribesman had a very anti social habit of cutting off the testicles of captured airmen hence the term "Goolie chit". Makes your eyes water!!!!

Yeah, it's all fun and games untill somebody loses a goolie!  :fie:  

What great stories your wifes grandfather must've had, the man should've written a book!