Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Might be Overkill but it definately runs smooth now

I decided it was time to upgrade heavily, so I custom built myself a new rig to play OFF BHaH on (Ok, and I've finally started playing a little Oblivion again too).

i7 920 Quad Core 2.66Ghz OC to 3.8 GHz

PT6 Motherboard

6 GB DDR3 RAM (Corsair XMS)

Vista 64 bit

850 watt P/S

1 TB SATA hard drive 7200RPM (not 10k)

New Armor Mid Tower black case

Zalman CPU cooling fan (keeps it at 46c under heavy load even OCd)

and reused my 28" I-INC widescreen monitor

GTX280 1GB video card (OCd to 675 Mhz Core and 1352 Mhz GDDR3 RAM)

TrackIR 4

Saitek II keyboard (lights up the keys so I can see them at night when the wife is in bed sleeping and I'm still trying to win WWI)

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

crappy little logitech mouse

The Results: OFF looks and plays beautiful, smooth as glass with 12 planes or more on the screen even over an airfield! Not a stutter anywhere even at 1680 x 1050 and everything on 5. But a great rig does not make a great pilot!!! The bosche were not impressed and gunned my arse down without hesitation. Apparently Winder programmed them to "Fear No Gear". LOL Seriously though, what a beautiful game Devs. You should be proud. I literally sometimes like to fly freeflight and just look around at the world. Simply breathtaking. Thanks for the endless hours of fun. It's gotta be the best $50 I spent on a single player game since Diablo. Maybe Oblivion. Keep up the great work because I am ready to buy whatever expansion you put out. It's just amazing how satisfying this game is on so many levels.

/salute

Hellshade

I decided it was time to upgrade heavily, so I custom built myself a new rig to play OFF BHaH on (Ok, and I've finally started playing a little Oblivion again too).

i7 920 Quad Core 2.66Ghz OC to 3.8 GHz

PT6 Motherboard

6 GB DDR3 RAM (Corsair XMS)

Vista 64 bit

850 watt P/S

1 TB SATA hard drive 7200RPM (not 10k)

New Armor Mid Tower black case

Zalman CPU cooling fan (keeps it at 46c under heavy load even OCd)

and reused my 28" I-INC widescreen monitor

GTX280 1GB video card (OCd to 675 Mhz Core and 1352 Mhz GDDR3 RAM)

TrackIR 4

Saitek II keyboard (lights up the keys so I can see them at night when the wife is in bed sleeping and I'm still trying to win WWI)

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

crappy little logitech mouse

The Results: OFF looks and plays beautiful, smooth as glass with 12 planes or more on the screen even over an airfield! Not a stutter anywhere even at 1680 x 1050 and everything on 5. But a great rig does not make a great pilot!!! The bosche were not impressed and gunned my arse down without hesitation. Apparently Winder programmed them to "Fear No Gear". LOL Seriously though, what a beautiful game Devs. You should be proud. I literally sometimes like to fly freeflight and just look around at the world. Simply breathtaking. Thanks for the endless hours of fun. It's gotta be the best $50 I spent on a single player game since Diablo. Maybe Oblivion. Keep up the great work because I am ready to buy whatever expansion you put out. It's just amazing how satisfying this game is on so many levels.

/salute

Hellshade

I have the same setup, but with 3 GB RAM and a GT260. How did you OC the CPU? I'd like to do mine now.

Thanks,

OvS

I have the same setup, but with 3 GB RAM and a GT260. How did you OC the CPU? I'd like to do mine now.

Thanks,

OvS

It's really easy, my i72.66 is OC -> 3.4

Just raise your FSB speed from bios.

i7 920 uses normally 20 * 133Mhz(2,66Mhz), i raised it 20*170(3,4Mhz), so memory is overclocking too at the same time

Edited by Kankkis

It's really easy, my i72.66 is OC -> 3.4 Just raise your FSB speed from bios.

OC'ing is not something to rush into, nor is it easy to accomplish well, at least not if you want your hardware to last... There are a lot of good tutorials on the web that will say much the same thing.

Several shareware utilities will assist in increasing fan speeds, etc. and you must increase clock speeds S-L-O-W-L-Y in increments to monitor and maintain stability.

OC'ing is not something to rush into, nor is it easy to accomplish well, at least not if you want your hardware to last... There are a lot of good tutorials on the web that will say much the same thing.

Several shareware utilities will assist in increasing fan speeds, etc. and you must increase clock speeds S-L-O-W-L-Y in increments to monitor and maintain stability.

Jep that's true, if you overclock too much computer not even boot or it's unstable. I raised my 10MHz burts, and then i put my prosessor under the stress and i check my cpu temp at the same time.

OC little (5-10Mhz)then drive 3D mark or something and check if it stable, if stable, raise a little again and test.

There is really good CPU stress program at the internet too. Raises you CPU temp to max at few sec.

How much you can OC is hard to say, mostly you need good CPU fan, i have Noctua-12P and when i overclocked my temps not even raised at all, but my memory is not overclocking more than 170FSB

Would be interested in knowing what you had before. (hardware and os)

Before I had Duo Core 2 @ 3.16 Ghz

Nvidia 680i chipset motherboard

3GB DDR2 800 RAM

650 watt P/S

Vista 32 bit

160GB SATA hard drive

GTX280 1GB Video card (from EVGA)

It ran good. Even very good. But now it's basically all flawless. The 4GB memory limit bothered me with Vista 32 bit and even though the Nvidia 680i MB is supposed to be easily able to overclock the Duo Core 2 cpus, I must have gotten a dud because every time I tried the system froze up, even when I used the auto tune software to do it. The i7 Core 920 was a breeze to OC.

/salute

Hellshade

Thanks,

OvS

Overclocking on the PT6 motherboard is easy. In the bios change the following:

AI Overclock Timer to Manual

CPU Ratio Setting to Auto

BCLK Frequencey to 190

DRAM Frequencey to DDR3 1523

Leave all voltage settings to Auto

Saved it and it shut down for a moment then restarted itself at 3.82 Ghz. You do need a serious cooling fan though. I highly recommend the Zalman for like $78. Even under heavy cpu load is stays around 47 C which is well within limits. I definately noticed the difference jumping it up from 2.66 to 3.8Ghz. Let me know if you have any problems. I can PM you my number if you need assistance.

/salute

Hellshade