Sign in to follow this  
Ivankuturkokoff

Fuse Arming

The well known subject of a lot of Argentine bombs not arming due to release altitudes being so low and Times of flight less than fuse arming time. Does anyone now for sure what bomb and fuse combinations the Argentine Air Force were using ?

Is there any historical data on the fuse settings used ?

The well known subject of a lot of Argentine bombs not arming due to release altitudes being so low and Times of flight less than fuse arming time. Does anyone now for sure what bomb and fuse combinations the Argentine Air Force were using ?

Is there any historical data on the fuse settings used ?

I don't have right now the accurate details, but I'm in the proccess of getting them - also a bit of trouble as it seems our argie friends refuse to talk about this subject - wonder why B)

But what I know, is that indeed the extremely low altitudes they're deployed, hindered fuse arming, resulting in bombs penetrating the ship's hull without exploding (Broadsword) or exploding while specialized crew tried to disarm it (Antelope). Then some journalist, the type who appears on TV invited by the tv network to comment on specialized topics such as deployed hardware and tactics, seeing the footage of the attacks said something like "it's clear that deploying bombs so low doesn't give time for the bomb's fuse to arm" - the argies, who watch television too, got the hint and adjusted the fuse accordingly - the result: Coventry sunk by bombs released at extremely low alt, and the Sir Galahad destruction. The bombs: all of the Snakeye variety.

I don't have right now the accurate details, but I'm in the proccess of getting them - also a bit of trouble as it seems our argie friends refuse to talk about this subject - wonder why  B)

I don't think that we/them are refusing to talk about it; it is more likely that we don't have the accurate information like you. This have been a long discussed topic in many of the forums I visited (including Argentine forums) trying to find the answer.

Here are some real mirage III MK82 Snakeye balistics. If we assume a Zero dive angle 100Foot release at 500Knots (any faster and the HD fins could rip off) the time of flight is 2.59Sec. Though Safe escape in this release is questionable :ph34r:

post-65-1072760065_thumb.jpg