Sign in to follow this  
RCAF_Dudley

von Richthofen DR1 Photos

Ok great thanks a lot WF2 good pic, I have seen some photos with what seems to be flat edges no padding or rounding there, but this could be the way to go :)

Mmm that new pic is exactly the view Brown must have had as the RB dodged and weaved just before him, then MvR pushed the stick down and the bullet skimmed over the edge of the seat there ;)

Hey Guy's, that is great how you showed that MvR could have been hit from below. Makes it hard to believe that the shot came from Brown, there would have been a hole in the seat back then, correct?

Manfred was hit from below, because the shot came from the ground. Brown's diving attack was spirited but ineffective; it neither shot MvR down nor drove him off May. Brown dived from MvR's rear port-quarter, opposite side of the entrance wound. As one Richthofen book succinctly summarized, "...the mortal bullet passed upwards through Richthofen from his right to left, and No. 209 Squadron’s Capt Brown attacked Richthofen downwards from his left to right."

Mmm that new pic is exactly the view Brown must have had as the RB dodged and weaved just before him, then MvR pushed the stick down and the bullet skimmed over the edge of the seat there ;)

:rofl:

:good:

Yes, Villicus - a lot about military craft in a "one-colourtone-environement" like a desert, or the sea,

or the sky, is about reflection more than in a botanic landscape. Your and the Desert Rat's pink did

not contain any "dirty" colour additions like black or brown or grey. So it could, in extreme sunshine

as well as in evening shades, perfectly reflect the tones around it, and be "invisible".

There are so many unknowns even if Brown did come from that side MvR could have easily been in the process of momentarily side slipping the DR1, rolling, banking or anything so we'll never know until someone invents time travelling. Eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable so who knows. If he rolls left and Brown is above that's the angle too. Maybe it should be a shared kill anyway as everyone contributed. I think May should get it with his excellent luring into position etc :biggrin:;)

We should leave this victory to the Australian machine gunner; and if only for originality.

Also feels better, when the ace of aces was never shot down by another fighter pilot.

And when a "time tunnel" is built, we will all meet here again... (Lol!)

PS: if the Aussie knew some about deflection shooting, he had the best chances to get the red craft.

Edited by Olham

I apologize, Pol; I thought you were taking the piss. I hope you don't think I was minimizing what you wrote because that was not my intent.

Of course, all those tail-wagging-the-dog "ifs" are possible, although none would align the path of MvR's bullet wound with Brown's guns because MvR would had to have been flying inverted. And, yes, Olham, many "don't want" MvR being shot down by another airplane. I'm not motivated that way and for years believed Brown shot him down. Nobody in the air was invincible, and anybody could shoot down anyone else, provided he was in-range and unseen--as was Brown! However, since 1979 I've believed the totality of events reveals he did not fire the fatal bullet. 'tis fun to discuss and debate, though.

Edited by JFM

Guest British_eh

Hi there:

Thanks for the pictures. I have just returned from Europe, and am now looking for a picture that I took of a piece of BvR plane's fabric, which was a souvenier takem by an allied soldier and kept until his death. Aparrently his plane was carved up by those who wanted a piece of history.

Regards,

British_eh