Sign in to follow this  

Hello just wondering is there away for me to import model for this game into max and what do I need to export them back out. Thanks.

I would like to important some of the models into max for use as Ref While I model.

I don't think there is an importer...

But what I always wanted to know: Is TK's lod-structure documented somewhere? It would be great to be able to read the files (maybe to create something like a skin-preview program...)!

There is no importer...LOD files cannot be directly imported into MAX.

FC

There is no importer...LOD files cannot be directly imported into MAX.

FC

I know - but no documentation, too?

Not that I'm aware of.

There is a small program called UMC2 that can read and display SMALL .LOD files (like for weapons). But the maker hasn't updated it in a LONG time.

If those who make MAX files can also export into ASE format, there are a few free/shareware programs that can read and display that format...it even keeps the animations.

FC

Wasn't Elaine's b/f an importer/exporter?

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Not that I'm aware of.

There is a small program called UMC2 that can read and display SMALL .LOD files (like for weapons). But the maker hasn't updated it in a LONG time.

If those who make MAX files can also export into ASE format, there are a few free/shareware programs that can read and display that format...it even keeps the animations.

FC

You're right, it does (more or less...), but I'm not searching for a program, I'm searching for the algorithm (to be able to write my own tool)!

I doubt TK would be willing to release such information.

In general, wide spread public knowledge of how to reimport LODs back into MAX is frowned upon. The problem isn't a modder using a freeware LOD as a starting point or template for their own work (if both persons are signatories of the freeware accords AND the appropriate credit is given). The problem is a modder using payware LODs to do the same thing.

This has ALREADY happened a few times...with the idiots not even bothering to change the mapping.

Because of these events, we've had to institute limits for these kinds of discussions...basically, don't bother asking, and instant/permanent bans to anyone caught trying to do this here (using reverse engineering as stated above).

FC

Well, I don't want to convert the model (or even get the model), I just need the surface with the mapping.

My goal was to write a viewer to simplify skinning - you wouldn't need to run the game, just open the lod with the viewer and load the skin. If it doesn't fit, change it and reload the texture...

There's nothing wrong with that of course, I'm not accusing anyone here of doing something nefarious. However, again, I don't think TK will publish the details of the LOD format...however, I could be wrong. It would be nice...even MAX is a bit of a pain to skin in.

FC