Sign in to follow this  
chrispdm1

looking for maps

I am looking for World war 1 maps that I can use to map out aerodromes out on. I have found a couple that have served my purposes well (rabu's awesome maps and the couple I've dug up off the internet.) I need fairly detailed maps showing rivers, roads, railroads, towns, larger wooded areas and prefereably in color. Terrain helps out a bit but its not necessary. I am currently working on a Large scale western front that will show where each of the current maps boundaries are. I also have to finish off the Argonne map. The current maps I have cover the front and quite a few miles back from it from the coast all the way to just past Verdun. I'm missing about a 5-10 mile strip between the Aisne/Marne and Argonne maps. I'd really like good Alsace or lorraine map to do.

I am looking for World war 1 maps that I can use to map out aerodromes out on. I have found a couple that have served my purposes well (rabu's awesome maps and the couple I've dug up off the internet.) I need fairly detailed maps showing rivers, roads, railroads, towns, larger wooded areas and prefereably in color. Terrain helps out a bit but its not necessary. I am currently working on a Large scale western front that will show where each of the current maps boundaries are. I also have to finish off the Argonne map. The current maps I have cover the front and quite a few miles back from it from the coast all the way to just past Verdun. I'm missing about a 5-10 mile strip between the Aisne/Marne and Argonne maps. I'd really like good Alsace or lorraine map to do.

Chris:

Contact Bletchley, he has a pretty good collection and he was the one who supplied me with the originals I scanned and used. Also, you might ask Shredward, he may have some leads or maps, or both.

All the best,

Hello Chris/Rabu,

I don't have any more at the moment, but I am constantly on the look out for maps that would be suitable for OFF - the main problem is that modern repro. maps, or maps from the Web, are mostly copyright. The original maps are out of copyright now, but it is difficult to find the right small-scale maps that they would have used for air navigation (mostly 1:40,000, 1:100,000, 1:250,000) as these were made in much smaller numbers than the large-scale Trench maps (1:10,000), and fewer have survived (see my article on WWI mapping in the WWI Archive section of this forum). Those that have survived are mostly in historical map collections and museums. We really need a friendly map collector....

But if I find any more, I will send them to you, Rabu, for digitization :)

Bletchley

I dare say you've already checked the 1:100000 maps at McMasters University . I suspect they're missing, the very areas you're missing, but you may be able to build a consistent, e.g. 1917 map of the bulk of the Western Front. Means a bit of screenshotting and pasting together but it's doable.