Sign in to follow this  
Guest rscsjsuso5

airbase question

Guest rscsjsuso5

hi does any1 know waht is the best steps to flatten out a piece of area in the terrain so that all objects of an airbase appear correct and also when u land or take off you don't see only half of the runway missing due to terrain. i'm trying to use "Replacement of UBon RTAFB for WoV" on my taiwan terrain aound the city of fuzhou. apparently a green plain area right across the city is perfect for the ab but the land needs to get flatten.

thanks any1. an advice is welcome.

Couple of ways to do it.

In terrain editor, create a new city using CityList. Enter position x,y. And define width and length. Tick HasAirfield box.

Now using TE's Flatten Airfield function will flatten all the entries in the CityList that have HasAirfield set. Be careful though, if you don't need flattening at other places, check off the HasAirfield boxes. (This is the only function it serves anyway)

Another thing, TE won't flatten unless width/length is in powers of 2. Which sometimes forces you to create a huge unnatural flat square.

The technique I use, (a torture in itself :biggrin: )

Export the terrain height bmp from TE. (Watch out again, the values in TerrainEditor.ini effects how it will be processed:

[bitmapExport]

HeightScale=14

[bitmapImport]

HeightScale=14

MinLandHeight=0

The height bmp is an 8 bit map (2^8=256, only 256 different values for height)

So 14 gives me from 0 meters to 14x256=3584 meters. (Highest peak I got in the Anatolia Terrain)

Now, open the height_map.bmp in gimp, find the position with some more math (2 pixels for 1 kilometer)

Get the color for your intended area (translates to the height of the land) and color a big enough square to place your new Airfield. Save the file and import back into TE. Go in-game check, rinse and repeat :yes:

(Especially if you go the second route, get regular backups, because you will make mistakes for sure!)

Edited by pureblue

Guest rscsjsuso5

thank u for fast reply will try but we know that nothing is a guarantee . i presume that u are from istanbul , a beautiful city and turkey a great country.

from my af to yours safe skies and mission successful.

With the terrain editor IS the only way to do it properly. So, you'll need to recreate the citlistlist.in, which although consuming an hour or so, is not hard at all.

I've included the ones for the terrains I've done, so you can use those as a guides (look in Modern Darwnin, ASW, SoCal, Libya, etc) You'll see how it's done

Just be VERY aware of airfield locations within 1 tile of a coast line -- you'll really want to make sure they're on the 2nd tile inland; even if flattening create a slight upwelling of the land ... it'll keep the water from humping up (which you'll then have to fix by exporting a heightbmp, repainting, and reimporting and possibly doing the "adjust sea level" mode in the TE.

wrench

kevin stein

Guest rscsjsuso5

thanks wrench will try. :biggrin: