Motivational Picture

I got this from leatherneck(dot)com.

They have a bunch of different ones.

I thought that this said it all.

post-6761-1247330409_thumb.jpg

Edited by ezlead

Perhaps not?

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/07/wh...jet/#more-14636

The fight over the future of Lockheed Martin’s F-22 Raptor just got a lot nastier. While Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and Congress fuss over whether to buy more of the $150 million-a-copy jets (not counting development costs), allegations have surfaced of serious and surprising problems with what is widely considered the world’s most capable fighter. One former Lockheed Martin engineer has sued the company in federal court, alleging that the company knowingly applied faulty stealth coatings to the Raptor’s skin. And today, The Washington Post connected the stealth-coating allegation to a series of Pentagon tests between 2004 and 2008 that revealed problems with the jet’s skin, requiring “frequent and time-consuming repairs.”

The lawsuit filed by engineer Darrol Olsen, who was fired in 1999 for unrelated reasons, claims he “witnessed Lockheed commit fraud regarding the F-22’s stealth coatings. Specifically, from September 1995 until June 1999 when he left Lockheed, Olsen “witnessed Lockheed order and use coatings that Lockheed knew were defective.” Olsen — described as “one of the top materials and process, composites and low observables engineers in the stealth technology industry” — first took his findings to Lockheed officials, but was told to “stay out of it,” according to the lawsuit. He turned to noted Lockheed whistleblower Mike DeKort, for help filing suit.

The end result of the alleged fraud, is an F-22 fleet that can only fly 60 percent of the time, according to WaPo. “The trends are not good,” Thomas Christie, former Pentagon top weapons tester, told the paper. It was apparently these problems, and others, that former Defense Department chief weapons buyer John Young was referring to, when he recommended, in November, that the Pentagon focus on fixing the Raptors it has, rather than buying more.

A Lockheed spokesperson told The Post that “the issues raised in the complaint are at least 10 years old.” “We deny Mr. Olsen’s allegations and will vigorously defend this matter.” They’ll surely have to, as criticism of the pricey F-22 mounts, in what could be the program’s 11th hour.

Allegations about the low observable coatings on the B-2 (didn't work when it was wet) made the news some time ago. Not sure if it is the same or a related material to that used on the F-22, but the problem is far from new. Also don't know if the "fix" implimented actually corrected the deficiency or just "white washed" the complaints made.

Seems like a related allegation and it's possible that the heirarchy at Lockheed-Martin may just be performing the "same old tricks". Whatever the facts are, the truth will likely not be made public as it would not be in the best intrest of our National Defense. Transparency has it's limits (as it should).

I really don't think a paintjob will matter much in a A2A engagement.

I would think that the "Drivers" would rather be seen to enhance the "Experience".

AFAIK it whupped a$$ on everything it came up against,1on1,2on1,etc.

Besides,it's only the A model.

If somebody comes up with something similar I'm sure we will see a B model or whatever. :ok:

Edited by ezlead

Though the "arguements/allegations" aren't limited to the observability of the aircraft, no one is debating it's capabilities/performance when it's operational. The article sites that it's far below expectations in "Operational Readiness". It works great, when it's working, however it can't do squat when faced by a Sopwith Camel if it's on the ground.

There have always been teething problems with any cutting edge aircraft. That's the way of things. After a while, things settle down as the bugs are squashed one by one and everyone gets on with it.

Trust me, ask any old Bone driver, or a V-22 guy about so called 'news' and accuracy about their weapon system and you're bound to get an earful.

FC

I got this from leatherneck(dot)com.

They have a bunch of different ones.

I thought that this said it all.

haha nice one!

Edited by MigBuster