Sign in to follow this  
Rambler 1-1

DIY Flight Controls

My current project: Using parts from a broken joystick (my beloved Logitech Attack 3, which my kid brother killed last winter), I have planned and drawn out designs for a cessna-style control column.

In short, I'm using one 300-degree rotation servo (or sensor or actuator - whatever you call it) for roll and another, albeit geared-down, for pitch. The difficult part has been working out what size a reduction gear I will need for the pitch and finding one that will work, but aside from that, my design is foolproof.

The box that I have positioned all the innards in will be fairly large, to allow room for the important bits and to give me some room for modification. I also plan on mounting the buttons previously found all over the stick on the front of the box to use for flaps, ignition and what not.

As soon as I have gone beyond the paper-bound scale drawings, I'll be sure to take pictures of my progress. Hopefully I'll be able to either brag about the finished project in the next couple weeks, or I'll have gained some valuable experience and be the first person to tell you how computer controls are best left to the professionals. Win-win situation, right? right? :blink:

Buy CH Products. :smile:

Seriously though good luck on this project.

Guest 531_Ghost

Looking forward to seein' it Rambler!

I can't wait to see this as well. As for the CH comment, we'll see how your creation is working for you 5 years after you've built it. Cuz that's where I am now with 5 CH controllers that I use at least 4x a week.

Keep a log and take pics. It's kind of fun to do, and it'll help when showing it off after it's done :good: