Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Negative Experience with Saitek AV8R-02

I just got an AV8R-02 today in anticipation of IL-2 BoP. It works fine on the Xbox360, but I had very disappointing results on my PC. These are my posts on the Saitek forum:

Well,

I'm seriously frustrated right now. I got the AV8R-02 with the intention of selling my old AV8R-01. I'm mean, why not? One joystick for the Xbox360 and my PC... great!

However, after 1 hr of downloading and scouring forums, I haven't been able to get my computer (XP) to detect the stick. I initially just downloaded the driver from Saitek, but when I was prompted to connect my controller, it could not be detected. I tried M1 and M2. The add new hardware wizard would open up, but the actual driver installer would never detect the stick, and cancel was the only option (could not select "next").

I then found the blurb (not very easy to find, btw) about needing to download the xbox 360 controller driver. OK. Fine. Did that. Still doesn't work.

I tried the add new hardware wizard, and now when I select my "xbox 360 controller", I get this message:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Can someone please tell me what drivers to install, in what order, and what specifically to do once I run them?

Thanks.

OK,

After a 3rd attempt I was able to get the Xbox controller driver to work properly, and I was able to use the Joystick on my computer.

However, I do echo the statements that others have made on these forums that once the Joystick is recognized by the computer, performance is not what I would expect. Games do not recognize the buttons (or inputs) as you would expect, and it's been my experience so far that you have to choose between either a non functioning throttle/rudder, or a non functioning trigger.

I had a little more success using Xpadder, but I found that program confusing. I got the trigger to work, but then couldn't get a game to recognize the "\" input after I assigned to a key through Xpadder. The "\" key still worked in the game; Xpadder just didn't seem to be forwarding that command from the Joystick. I also found that the "LB" button on the Joystick would perform the command I assigned to it, but also would perform the command that was assigned to the trigger. Details, details...

I will continue messing with it on and off. But for now, unfortunately, I will have to stick with my -01 on the PC and use the -02 on my xbox only. I guess this means more sales for Saitek, but it sure doesn't make me happy...

Like others have said, Saitek should seriously look at putting out some drivers that allow the -02 to work "normally" on a PC, or change the way it is marketed. ie - "limited" functionality on a PC or something like that.

Until now, I have repeatedly recommended the AV8R-01 to people looking for a joystick. I will not be doing the same thing with the -02.

-Gregg

It works fine for the 360, but if you're looking for something you will be able to use on the PC, this is not it.

I just got an AV8R-02 today in anticipation of IL-2 BoP. It works fine on the Xbox360, but I had very disappointing results on my PC. These are my posts on the Saitek forum:

It works fine for the 360, but if you're looking for something you will be able to use on the PC, this is not it.

not new...surely..M$

the same happened with My Xbox 360 joypad, i can't use it on pc, even with the reciver...i gave up.

I wonder if it would be different with Vista? MS has all but screamed "stop using XP already!!"

I wonder if it would be different with Vista? MS has all but screamed "stop using XP already!!"

VISTA sucks for us gamers though.

MS: May we interest you in the Xbox 360 then??

I think I read somewhere that Vista has the drivers for the stick, which just means you don't need the Xbox controller driver. I don't know if that means some of the other weird issues are solved or not.

I was also disappointed that the -02 doesn't have the dual throttles, which I use regularly for Thrust Vectoring in harriers...