Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

Overclocking cpu

I have a pentium 4 dell 3.6 interested in overclocking the cpu for the sim can you make any recommendations as to what to use and where found on the net

I have a pentium 4 dell 3.6 interested in overclocking the cpu for the sim can you make any recommendations as to what to use and where found on the net

Be careful overclocking with the stock cooler that came with your Dell. Why fry your CPU and void your warranty for a small increase in performance? 3.6GHz should be more than plenty for BHaH. Which processor is it exactly? 560? 660?

Good luck.

Be careful overclocking with the stock cooler that came with your Dell. Why fry your CPU and void your warranty for a small increase in performance? 3.6GHz should be more than plenty for BHaH. Which processor is it exactly? 560? 660?

Good luck.

thank you I will heed your advice not sure its a dimension8400 I have 3gig mem and a vid card 9800 1024 meg I think..really appreciate the heads up

thank you I will heed your advice not sure its a dimension8400 I have 3gig mem and a vid card 9800 1024 meg I think..really appreciate the heads up

The 8400 was a very decent machine when it came out in 2004. It looks like you might benefit from a faster GPU...depends on your current performance with BHaH. I was running a similar card and decided to upgrade. Of course, your mileage may vary. Perform all of Rabu & Homeboy's tweaks before you decide.

It looks like you already upgraded from the stock x800 card...I'm guessing that you kept the stock 400W power supply. Since the PCI-E slot is still compatible with PCI-E 2.0, consider upgrading to a faster 1MB graphics card like a nVidia GTX 260 or ATI 4870. You'll also need (at least) a 500W power supply (you can do the PSU calculation here: http://www.corsair.com/). The 8400 case was cramped, so make sure that these longer cards will fit in your case (if not, you're out of luck).

Let me know if you need any additional help.

Edited by BirdDogICT