Sign in to follow this  

The flare effects as I have them for pre-SF2 seem to poop out once they hit the ground. Some flares were made to act as markers - they'd be dropped near convoys and draw incoming air. Can this be duplicated in the WOV-series by someone who knows more about effects modding than myself??

Thanks,

Mike D.

Flares are made as very light rockets. I suppose if you created a flare with an impact effect that is just a small flame that emits light, you would have what you need.

Mike,

You talking about a Ground Contact Ilummination Flare?

I'll make one up.

331KillerBee

Here's some Info:

Operation Shed Light 1966

Ground target marking, which was a key tactic for day time strikes, was investigated. Project 2531 was to investigate target marking munitions, and looked into warheads for the Mk 40 2.75” rocket motor, using a variety of chemiluminescent materials. These were to be loaded with compounds developed under the US Navy's Target Illumination and Recovery Aid (TIARA) program. Initially they used modified M151 high-explosive warheads, but found the amount of compound that could be contained provided poor results. The Shed Light Task Force noted that a lighter case for these compounds was in development. A combination of red phosphorus and a flare was investigated in an attempt to provide a system that could be used at night or during the day.

Types of Flares used since Operation "Shed Light" 1966:

(1) LUU-1/B,5B,6D target marking flare

Designated for a 30-minute burn time on the ground, providing a colored flame. LUU-1 burns red, LUU-5 burns green, and LUU-6 burns maroon. (What You need made)

(2) LUU-2 parachute flare

The LUU-2 provides up to 4.5 minutes illumination of 2 million lumens. The flare consists of a cylindrical aluminum container enclosing a timer, parachute, and candle. (What We have moddeled now)

(3) LUU-19 covert flare

The LUU-19 has the same physical dimensions of the LUU-2, and provides up to 5 minutes and 1,200 Watts/Steradian of IR illumination of the target area for NVG capable attack aircraft. (Need to make it too)

331KillerBee

If you can make up an effects file for one that doesn't die when it hits the ground, that would be super. I can make a visual model - it's only a cylinder really. I toyed with the idea of showing the deployed parachute, but besides the fact that I don't know how to animate munitions, the flare illumination as it floats down would pretty much obscure it anyways. I'll be happy that it doesn't look like a 2.75 inch FFAR as it exits the pod! I experimented one night trying to modify the illumination effect, and I only succeeded in screwing up the effect. Obviously I'm no expert at lots of aspects of this sim.

I just wanted to update a few weps, and the flare deal popped up. (I have a few more weps projects going on - detailed AIM-4A/C/D, the flares, SUU-42, new nape shapes, SUU-7, and triple and double 2.75in pods and LAU-10 without end caps (thanks to Ravenclaw for references) for use on TERs (an idea you already covered in your weps package!). If I could only figure out cylindrical mapping for Max I'd be in real good shape...

Thanks again for the help,

Mike

Edited by mppd