Sign in to follow this  
wsmwsm

Help with RAR files

I see that the latest patches require an RAR file. I've never worked with those before and I am truly ignorant of what to do.

Do I download some sort of RAR application and, if so, which one? Also, how does this effect by zip files? Do I have to choose between the two when working with downloaded files?

Any help would be great.

WinRAR is just another file compression utility, like WinZIP. I think it claims to be marginally better than WinZIP, not sure. I never used it.

Here's why: To my knowledge, neither WinZIP nor WinRAR offer "free" versions. Both offer trial versions, so most people download the trial and just keep using it. Not in the spirit of 'shareware' or 'trialware', IMHO...and not legal.

A good, open-source (legally free) utility for file compression is called 7Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/). It'll create and open traditional zip files, and will open RAR files. It doesn't support creating RAR files, but I've never found it necessary to do so.

Almost forgot :) You don't have to worry about 'choosing' one or the other; both can be supported on a machine just fine.

One thing to watch for is that most all programs will try to create/modify Windows 'file associations'. So, it could be that if you install a new program, it will try to set itself as the default program for handling all files of a certain type (based on the three-letter file 'extension').

Windows 'associates' which program to open files with based on it's extension. It's gotten bad enough (*uggh*) that by default Windows doesn't even show file extensions. It's a convenience, especially for people who don't know/don't care...but it's an annoyance otherwise.

HTH

Edited by Tamper

What shipped with Windows is not actually WinZIP, uncleal. It's barely usable, has no interface at all to speak of - bad enough to the point that most people don't know it's there, especially when trying to figure out how to use it.

The link you posted is for downloading the same thing I already mentioned, but it's not the author's site. I'd recommend going straight to the author's site (why not?) to make sure you get the latest version, etc.

A good, open-source (legally free) utility for file compression is called 7Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/). It'll create and open traditional zip files, and will open RAR files. It doesn't support creating RAR files, but I've never found it necessary to do so.

This is what I use. 7zip is a great program. Besides handling regular zips and RAR files, it can compress stuff into its own .7z format which is VERY tight compared to a regular zip of the same stuff. I find this quite useful for handling sickeningly huge file transfers. That's what I got it for, so its ability to open RAR files for me is langiappe.

I did say "To make sure you get the latest version, etc." There are plenty of reasons:

1. Often, the author will update a program - and surely the author's site (or preferred mirror) will have the latest version, where all the other sites may not have updated files, links, etc.

2. Just because you only used freeware once doesn't mean others will. In the example you list, you discuss download managers. Now, I didn't need to find a download manager for P2, since I was already using one (and had been). I've also used it many times since for pretty much any big download.

3. The software we're discussing is 'open source". That means source code is readily available. Unlike CFS3, for example, where the sourc code is protected, anyone or their brother can alter source code if it's made available. When you go to anyoldarbitrarydownload.com, you really don't know what you're getting. Of course, you can assume no one on the Internet does mean things with software. The author's page - a 'dot org', as it were, isn't likely to post files (or point to mirrors) he doesn't trust.

4. Of all the problems I've ever worked on with computers (and believe me, there's been a ton), most - we're talking 95%+ here - have come from what I call 'indiscriminate internet usage'. Simple rule: Know where you go, know what you're getting. Common sense, really.

5. I believe WinRAR is actually much newer than zip (actually, zip predates Windows iteself). So, it stands to reason: the longer it's around, the more of it you'll see. (Take the OP, for example - he knows full well what a zip is, but never heard of RAR before). Also, as computer technology becomes more complex, and bigger files become progressively more commonplace, these utilities will also become more and more common. Consider, for example, that Windows itself didn't used to support zip - but now it does. It didn't always support backups, but it does now. (Even though the versions of these tools that are included with Windows are limited, everyone recognizes they're better than nothing). Ditto the firewall in XP, "background intelligent transfer service" (bits) - and on and on.

So, I'd say there are lots of reasons to use a reputable source for downloading/using utilities such as this.

Edited by Tamper

Minor issue with the .rar format, is that double clicking it opens up Real Media player (if you have it installed). It through me for a couple of times at first.

No problem though, either right click and pick 'open with' an un-zip utility. In fact, there may even be an unzip option on the right click.

i've always wondered why they put up rar files to beging with.....when you decompress, the exe file is the same or smaller than the rar file...

If you send a utility through email, a lot of anti-virus software gets upset and blocks the download because like some viruses, the utility might run before you can stop it. If you zip the file, it won't initialise itself unless you unzip it. It's a way of neutralising the threat. You can examine what you've downloaded before deciding to initialise it.

That's how I think it works....

Edited by Flyby PC

Flyby - that's due to the 'association' I was discussing before. You can use right-click "open with" and 7zip gives you mutliple options.

You also can fix it; just go to (in XP) an Explorer window (not a browser, like Internet Explorer, just Explorer - like "My Computer"). Go to menu "Tools", then down to "Folder Options" and click the File Types tab. Click on New and type rar in the box (#1 in the pic below); click OK. In the first box, you'll see that rar has been added. Now click the "Change" button after "Opens with" (#2). Click the radio button "Select the program from a list", then OK, which opens dialogue #3. Click browse, then navigate to \Program Files\7zip and click on 7zFM.exe (#4). Click OK back through all the dialogues.

post-46026-12522655854398_thumb.jpg

SD, sometimes the compression is done as a habit, or like Flyby suggests, to bypass filtering by email or AV software.

Neat thing there is you don't really have to compress the file - just change the extension to 'zip' and most software is dumb enough to think it's a zip file (it only pays attention to the extension). But, of course, if there's an association on your machine, Windows will try to open the file in whatever program the association points to. You can always right click, Open with...as indicated above.

HTH

Edited by Tamper

I have used Zipgenius for years, it is freeware and handles all sorts of files, rar included. Just google it and you will find links for downloading the program.

Beard