Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

SF2 Cockpit CTDs - Help!

Whenever I try to use a cockpit based on the MeteorF8 cockpit - MiG-15, Ouragan, Mystere IV, etc - it goes through the motions until just as it's 100% loaded and you're about to start the flight, it CTDs. Black screen, error message. This is in any/all of the SF2 series.

I've fiddled about here and there and can't for the life of me find what it is - but the point in common is that they are all based on the MeteorF8 cockpit.

Does anybody know? There isn't anything that I can find about this...

Edited by ndicki

That's because the "MeteorCockpit.lod" is an edited version of the A-4B Skyhawk's, and has some sort of internal error.

I'd try extracting the A-4B_Cockpit.lod from one of the TOS games, edit the cockpit ini, DOUBLE CHECK THE GAUGE BMP and TGA names in the lod with a hex editor, and try them. BTW, you'll probably want to pull EVERYTHING associated with the Scooter-B's pit, as you'll probably be doing some "copy/paste" of gauge faces from the "Metor**.bmp" to the Skyhawk bmps

BTW, for SF2 there should be a couple of updated cockpits for the Migs, based off Ordway's work.

In short, for SF2 the entire cockpit MUST be rebuilt from scratch, using the bits and bobs from the classic series, and then fiddled with the get the new instrument (ie: gauges, radios, etc) images onto the Scooter's cockpit bmps.

It's not difficult to do; when I converted Ordways Mig Pits, it only took about 3-4 hours (including testing in SF2)

Below is the "parts list". Mind you, as I'm showing it as 'list', you can't see that the gauges ARE repainted from Ordway's bmps

wrench

kevin stein

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Cheers, Kevin - I've got the picture! Out with the hex editor and on with the job... Edited by ndicki

Actually, rethinking what I'd written above,you don't NEED to use a hexeditor for anything ... it's just a simple copy/paste in Photoshop for the various bmps and tgas.

Download this Mig Pit Update Pak for SF2:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=9178

and you'll see how I did it.

You'll just need all the parts listed in that screenie, and your Generic Text Editor ™ for the cockpit ini edits. Obviously, you'll need one of the Classic Series to extract all the parts from, but that ain't nothing.

wrench

kevin stein

Yup.

After I'd made my post yesturday, I went into my 08 WoE, redid the Ouragon's pit (all of 10 miuntes of work) with all the new bmps and stuff; works perfectly in Classic Series.

Moved the Ouragon into SF2, and the damn thing craps out with the 'aircraftobject.dll' CTD. So, I think I missed something somwhere's....I'll fiddle with it later

wrench

kevin stein