Sign in to follow this  
ThePsy

Leader

Hello@all

I'm new in Thirdwire sim, so this is why my question will be maybe sound stupid for some... Is there anyway to fly in a campaign as a wingman and not immediatly as a leader? If it's possible, can the leader be assignated by is rank? I searched in the manual and in the forum but found nothing about it... I'm used to flightsim (from RED Baron to IL2), I'm also used to modding, so I'm not afraid to edit some files if it's needed. Thank's for your answers. And btw great forums and great addition to this sim.

mmm, nobody know? Well, thank for reading then dntknw.gif...

mmm, nobody know? Well, thank for reading then dntknw.gif...

Patience ThePsy not every one reads the forum every day give it longer than 24 hours.

Edited by don246

With 64 view, you are the only one who answered and you get my gratitude for this... What I can see is that you must play this game for a longer time then I do but you didn't answered my question. So I will conclude that it's not possible to fly as a wingman. I hope that my English is correct.

As far as I know, there is no way to NOT be the flight leader. I think there was a thread a few years back.

However, you can change the order of the flight roster in the 'loadout' section when preparing for a mission. Just delete all the pilots the game assigned to your mission on the 'roster screen', then click to choose the order and who you want to be in your flight. You are 1-1, then 1-2 ...

I always put a ranking officer behind me as 1-2, then some junior pilots up to aircraft 1-4, then another ranking officer as 2-1 etc... It doesn't make much difference since the commands to attack etc. affect everyone instead of by flight.

However, when in campaign, choosing who goes out and who needs a rest can make a difference. You have to manage your resources (pilots) to last through the campaign. In campaigns where you fly in disadvantaged aircraft (ie where the enemy has the technology advantage) then you need to put more aircraft in the sky to even things out. But basically your AI flight gets smoked most of the time...

Flying this way and nursing pilots to ace status, watching over them, can be more rewarding than getting multiple kills.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Thanks for your answer, I'm starting to discover all those subtilities grin.gif