Sign in to follow this  
Ryan H

WW1 pilot uniform?

With Halloween fast approaching and my work encouraging employees to dress up the obvious choice is a WWI fighter pilot. My question is: what did a pilot wear while he was flying? I know the hollywood look and all but I would like some realism here! Any help would be appreciated, thanks all! drinks.gif

Ryan,

I would suggest that over 95% of the people who see you ONLY are aware of the "look" of a WW1 pilot by the very means you suggested ie Hollywood. So if you dressed as an extra for Blue Max or Brown Vs Richthofen, you can't go wrong. There was so much variety in the clothing worn whilst aloft that you could wear just about anything and be considered "realistic".

Would you like a suggestion?? The EXACT flight gear worn by David Niven in Dawn Patrol (the time when he was thought lost and was missing). He returned in his polka dotted pyjamas with a flight coat. His helmet and goggles were missing, but maybe he dropped them because he was carrying as much champaign as he could hold (internally as well as in his hands).

Walking sticks were also de rigeur. Some carried them as an affectation, others required them after debilitating injuries after the obligatory crash or two. A sidcot suit would be the go.

Yes...and don't forget the Castor Oil and Goosefat smeared all over your face!!

(I hope you ain't on the Pull m8!)...cos she'll run a mile!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What nationality of pilot?

One standard with all is that you wear your officers uniform at all times, even when flying... so if you are wearing your leathers open, there had better be a full RFC uniform underneath!

RFC uniform consists of officers tunic, riding britches, khaki shirt and tie.

British ww1 flight gear tended to consist of a long brown leather coat, leather flying helmet (make sure it doesnt have radio ear pieces!), goggles, fur lined boots, fur lined gloves.

And of course a white silk scarf! The scarf had two functions, firstly it was kept long to use as a cloth to wipe oil from goggles. Secondly it was made of silk to reduce chafing around the neck; a pilot was constantly turning his head to look out for enemy craft so the silk acted as a buffer between the neck and the sheepskin collar.

Here is a picture of some original flight gear

http://www.awm.gov.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/e02661_2-small.JPG

You have a choice here: do you want to look spick and span like a portrait come to life, or are you going for the creepy undead look? The former costume type would be useful for other occasions but the latter would be more appropriate for Halloween, and also rather easier to produce.

There are countless photos out there of dead WW1 aviators lying where the fell amidst the wreckage, not all cleaned up for a fancy funeral. If I was going for creepy, this is where I'd look for inspiration. You wouldn't need to get a complete set of clothing because usually some of it was blown off by the wind, burned up by the fire, or taken by those in need on the ground, and what was left on them was usually tattered and charred to some extent. Sort of the same story with exposed skin: much of it burned or torn away with the broken ends of bones protruding through the holes.

As for specifics of what to get, that depends on how warm it's going to be where you're wearing the costume. The undead don't sweat, you know :). A flying helment and goggles for sure, but you can improvise the rest well enough with cheap work clothes available at most country general and hardware stores. Don't get anything expensive because you'll be destroying it. Smash the goggle lenses and then tear and burn the other items as desired, topping them off with streaks of blood, oil, and soot simulated by spray paint or actual charcoal dust and dirt rubbed into the cloth.

Don't forget the Sam Browne!

BTW, if you want an excellent WWI unifrom made to order and you have some extra cash to spend, go to these folks:

Replicater's Uniforms

Cheers!

Lou