Sign in to follow this  
orsin

Experimental, New helo flight model

After about 30hrs of tweaking I'm too tired to give a long description.

But this is really a good conceptual data file that defines a new flight model for helicopters. If you'd ever been frustrated by the shaky pit and bad handle of existing helos in download section, you really need to try this, it will not make you down.

This is a flight model, an experimental one. Due to poor data entry of those existing helo for SF, I somehow decided to start with stock MiG-23MF of WOI as my fundamental. I tweak, tweak and tweak, and then here it is. It might seem strange when you try it, because you need to fly the stock Mig 23MF model, and you see no chopper there. But remember this is just a flight model, which is supposed to be generic. And the mig-23 is just a camouflaged shell of that model.

I've tried many times in game and it really makes SF a good helo game. Some very important features of helo aerodynamics are shown in this model.

How to use it:

1. This is just a data file, You will need the stock Mig23MF from WOI, put the stock ini files and whatever cockpit in a folder and name the aircraft Mig23ML (you know what to change in the ini). And then go fly it. I did not try on WOE but I guess Mig23M should also do.

2. You will need a stick with analog Yaw control to play (in the "have fun" level) with this model, This model utilizes thrust vectoring so you might want to map TVC on you stick as well.

3. by default, the nozzle is pointing at 70 degrees down backward. So when you take off, all you have to do is increase the throttle. If the nose is low, simply pitch up and it will raise.

4. By use Thrust vectoring, you can adjust the nozzle between 70 degrees and 120 degrees. The latter is effectively, down forward. By setting your nozzle down forward, you can remain your altitude while pitch down your nose very hard and attack the ground with ease.

5. the rudder is slow but very effective, helps accuracy so much. You can blow a fule can with one bullet, and blow 2 tanks on the ground with 3 rockets.

I hope you can give your comments about it. This model currently suffers from bad control on minus speed (i.e. when you fly backward), if that happens, simply let the aircraft turn and put your nozzle to backward down.

new helo.zip

Insky_orsin

Edited by orsin

Guest HoneyFox

I dont see my name in this post. :grin:

:lol: so it needs an edit.

sorry i though it was a beta so I didn;t put your credit in. and now the "edit" button has gone....

Anyways, Credit to you for the whole concept and the vectoring control system.

Guest HoneyFox

:cool: no problem.

we just wait for the final version.

in which we can really enjoy flying a helicopter.

and i think there should be more than just a Chinook in your project.  :grin: or it would be wasting this good concept and that would be a pity...

it is pretty much final already, We could try apply it to mi-24 and give people a helo blast...