Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

OT - Amazing flying skills

Looks impressive, but I do not know how the last bit worked, with the aircraft vertical and going up and down.

the aircraft also seemed to almost hang mid air at times.

almost did not look possible

Cheers

Looks impressive, but I do not know how the last bit worked, with the aircraft vertical and going up and down.

the aircraft also seemed to almost hang mid air at times.

almost did not look possible

Cheers

Indeed it did. There are, of course, a few factors that need considering...As a model, you might have noticed it did not have a "fuselage" as such, simply a flat cardboard cut-out. At the beginning of the display, you saw the "pilot" testing the control surfaces. The entire wing operates as a control surface, it does not have "ailerons" as such. Due to the incredible lightweight of the "aircraft", and the amazing power of model aircraft engines (even at this scale), this could not of course be replicated by a manned aircraft. There was no atmospheric conditions to contend with, being an indoor event.

But still...amazing.

Edited by Check Six

Yes, the model obviously had a huge power/weight ratio

But still an amazing exibition of hand-eye coordination

Very honed skills! Alot of practice. Huge control surfaces, and a reversible thrust electric engine, for those nose down hover maneuvers.

Nice video.

ZZ.

I fly scale IC engines, but its always nice to watch someone who has taken the time to push the 3D flight envelope.