Sign in to follow this  
Waldemar Kurtz

working on an alternate map

Hello Waldemar Kurtz and Sitting_Duck

WK@ My second attempt following your instructions to swap out the maps worked like a charm. I converted a fresh copy of alt_low.bmp from the .jpg file as you suggested just to be sure I had no errors in the file. After I make a backup for each, I copied the new alt_low.bmp file into all the Map folders in the WW1Scenery\Period\"Year" directories.

SD@ I discovered that I did not require a forced over ride date change to set the new alt_low.bmp into CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\UIRES\Map directory. Just switching from one to another of the campaigns I am currently flying did the trick. I am still puzzled how to made a forced over ride date change that you describe.

I am looking forward to the next version of the map graphic.

OlPaint01

I've actually tried out four or five different versions in the last month but none of them have been quite satisfactory. I was graciously sent the hard work of Mr. Wynne with all of the aerodrome locations and tried getting that to work-- but there was so much editing required (I had to remove a LOT of extraneous lines). then, after which, I discovered that the map has such distortion that it can't be overlayed on the in-game flight map at all!

I've tried out a couple of historical maps from other sources, but these were too detailed.

the transparent overlay is all right, I guess, but it just brings out the fact that none of the stuff matches up properly.

at least it seems as though I had the good luck of finding the best possible map first. ;)

I can't say how accurate this new version is. but for those who've tried out the other version, feel free to give this one a try.

also feel free to post how accurate or inaccurate it is (with details like Lille is too far to the SW and so on).

and I'll see if I can alter the map in the future to work out better.

once again this file is a JPG to keep memory size down.

very good job, WK. good.gif

where exactly is the difference between this version and the version you posted some weeks ago?

@WK

by the way, have you ever considered to go to google maps and zoom it really close and patch the parts together for a large map and fit it to the current map? because then everything should be in good resolution ingame because you saved it zoomed in high resolution. or do i think wrong here?

While these maps are still great, the problem still lies with the games terrain. Granted, there are a few roads and rivers in the terrain that will match up somewhat to a map, but for the most part, the road and rivers in the game terrain seem to be random, and as such, its dificult to get to an objecive without waypoints, and just using a paper map.

IMHO, what we need is someone with the time to take what we see in the game terrain (like all those lakes we see that are not on any maps), and add it to a good map (was thinking of the flanders set, as they alreayd have the aerodromes).

I moved a Vampire from cfs3 into my game, and flew it at 40,000, and started to add some roads, and rivers into my flanders maps,,,but to be honest, i really dont have the time to do the job correctly...maybe someone else does.

very good job, WK. good.gif

where exactly is the difference between this version and the version you posted some weeks ago?

the biggest difference is that it's a transparent overlay rather than opaque. as such I made much more of an effort to try and get things to "match". once it became clear it wouldn't match I focused on getting a couple of key cities to line up (aka Paris and Calais, with a few others) rather than try and make everything else work. in the earlier version I was trying to make the the coastlines match up as best I could. this time around it became obvious that a matching coastline was the least of my troubles!

here's another version-- I've also found a decent map which can cover for England's "hot spots"

[oops, the forum won't let me post another picture on this thread, apparently! so I'll just have to post it in the downloads section]

but, I gotta go to work. so it might be a day or so. this week will be interesting.

oh, and the google earth stuff won't work any better than the historical map I posted here. it's the nature of the bitmap that the game uses. it has a finite resolution and is fixed in size. if the game could be altered to use a larger file THEN we could consider using a higher resolution map. of course, the larger the file the more strain there is on memory. all sense of detail would probably get lost (which might be good, because the Google Earth pictures would still ultimately be modern pictures!)

Edited by Waldemar Kurtz