Sign in to follow this  
lsmith

Broken ILS

I've reinstalled AF after being out of the game for awhile. However, ILS no longer seems to work as previously. TACAN navigation using the HSI works exactly as I recall; and is consistent with everything in the documentation. ILS, however, does not appear even remotely aligned to where it should be. TACAN on HSI gets me lined up correctly on the runway but once there, chasing the ILS will throw me off 90 degrees or more.

I am requesting an inbound landing, channels are set correctly, etc. I'm using the exact same protocol as I did back in the SP4 days - but ILS looks to be screwed beyond belief. There's no changes to the system mentioned in the readme. This occurs at all runways.

What the heck is going on?

Edited by lsmith

What patch are you using?

tbh I've rarely used the ILS - only use it in pea soup fog so would have to test it.

What patch are you using?

tbh I've rarely used the ILS - only use it in pea soup fog so would have to test it.

Most current version, 1.0.13.

From the reading I've been doing, it appears that the game only models the ILS for the runways that you're supposed to be approaching. However, it looks like for me, it's never the correct runway.

Edited by lsmith

Hmmm. I'm running .13 and I have no problems with ILS. It's interesting that you bring this up because recently I've spent some time learning how to navigate to the 'alternate runway' with no VFD's or HUD in case of an emergency in campaign mode, so I know for a fact that it does work. Many airstrips in Korea have no TACAN/ILS so you must fly to the nearest TACAN and vector yourself per TACAN station listing and fly a certain distance on DME but that's another discussion.

I'm just repeating the following in case somebody else is having problems and finds this thread. :deadhorse:

ILS landing procedures can be found on page 62 of the Falcon AF manual.

Your post indicates that you are calling to tower for (option 2) request landing, you do have the correct TACAN channel, if it is setup in DED, it is '1' button on ICP make sure you have X/Y set correctly p. 407. Also verify that you have the correct ILS station (to my knowledge you cannot actually change it) by cross-referencing it with the TACAN station listing. Verify that the TACAN function switch its in the TR position p. 340. Verify that the INSTR Mode switch is in the TCN/ILS position p. 327. Verify that the CNI selector switch is in the correct position, backup if you are using the analog station selector switch or UFC if you are using the DED/UFC p.340. Verify that the HUD is in NAV mode also it should say ILS as well and you should see the ILS bars.

From what your post indicates you are most likely trying to land on the other side of the runway. For instance Kimpo (Korea) is runway 32L or 14R i.e. 320/140 degrees. Are you following ATC's commands and landing on the correct side of the runway? This will cause the "90 degree" deviation that you are referring to.

Just out of curiosity try setting up a landing at the airbase in question in Tactical Engagement editor and when in flight just declare an emergency landing. Remeber to set your course (CRS) knob on the HSI to make sure you're approaching from the correct side.

Just some thoughts, sounds like you know what you're doing though. Best of luck!

Edited by jtullman