Sign in to follow this  
Squiffy

Some weird model problems?

Hi gang,

I have problems in two of my favorite airplanes so far. The F-15C and T-6A. I think there is a grouping issue in the F-15C models that causes gaps in the shadow. The T-6A seems to be missing its rear canopy material. The loading screen and loudout screen for the T-6A seem to show it from game screenies. What gives? The AT-6 canopy is fine but the big optics turrent underneath is a turn off for "training" practice. Any help? Here are some screenies. I am running a GeForce 7600 GS, XP, and advanced shaders.

post-54223-1263871828628.jpg

post-54223-1263871840721.jpg

Edited by Squiffy

Old model on the F-15C, improper glass.tga callout in the T-6A.lod

So to fix these I need a new model for the F-15C (where do I get it?) and how do I fix the callout in the T6?

Old model on the F-15C, improper glass.tga callout in the T-6A.lod

So to fix these I need a new model for the F-15C (where do I get it?) and how do I fix the callout in the T6?

FastCargo and USAFMTL just released an F-15 package, which includes an updated F-15C.

The T-6 issue requires opening up the model .lod with a hex editor, and changing the material callout, or (a safer bet), extracting the existing glass.tga material, renaming it to match, and placing it in the T-6's texture folders (all of them).

Hey, come to think of it, is there an existing "Glass" or "Canopy" .tga in the model's install folder? If so, it now needs to reside in the texture folders.

OK great. I just saw the F-15 pack. Thanks guys. Now for the T-6, by texture folder you mean the Squadron/color scheme folders right? The front conopy is fine, but the rear must have been misspelled or omitted in the lod file? I'll take a look. By the way, something similar might be happening in the Stinger missle crew skin. The guys helmet shows but nothing else. He's all white. I'l take a screenie, but I think you might know about it. I have looked and I think it IS mispelled. Thanks again. Flying lessons could cost up to $200/hr up here in Norwood, MA. I'm thinking a new system (projector an all) might be a better investment. Am I crazy? Salute.gif

Edited by Squiffy

Thanks Grumps. I downloading the new model now.

F-15C shadow prob is due to the mesh having too many polys- model issue!

Not that I have seen. The model is roughly the same model that Squiffy is having problems with.

In fact, I added polygons to it during the update.

The reason I have seen as to why it isn't self shadowing properly comes down to if the mesh considers itself 'concave' or 'convex'. If it is convex, it shadows properly. If it's concave, it won't shadow. I've seen this on models I've done where I've put too many 'dents' into the mesh. The problem is that it's not always easy to tell if the mesh has too many inward 'dents'...

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Wow, OK, so I will go fly now and see. I just downloaded the big pack and just installed the C D and E-04. Any ideas about the T-6. The calls look ok in Hex. If anyone has a better model that wraps the rear canopy properly I'd appreciate a look at it. Something else is awry in the model. It's not as simple as a file rename. Does "misc.bmp" get used in the canopy?

Excellent!

I just had the bright idea to swap the models and change the skin name to match for the T-6A (using the good AT-6 model with complete canopy) Worked like a charm. I didn't realilze that the turret on the AT-6 was a fake pilot until just today. You don't need to draw it if it's not added to the plane. On a regular T-6A you get a finished canopy with at-6 model. I'm happy now, even though I have to rebuild my weapondata.ini after hunting for broken gunpods. Yeah the usual reasons. No sweat now. Editor works great.

heat.gif