Sign in to follow this  
quack74

F2b's of No11 Squadron

Just some pics of some F2b's of No.11 Squadron I've been doing. The F2b needs more skins. There will be an A flight (white wheels), B flight (red wheels), and a C flight (blue wheels). Just need to touch up some more. Not sure if I should add numbers or letters for some of the flights. Hmmm.

Edited by quack74

If you're asking, and if it's not too much trouble...numbers would be my choice. :good:

Especially A-7288, No.7 (with white wheels I think), flown by Andrew McKeever. He (and his observer, L.F. Powell) shot down four Alb DV's in one combat in that machine on November 30th 1917.

At the risk of being a massive PITA, I think the fuselage roundels could be a bit larger: Almost, but not quite the whole width of the wing.

The white outer ring of the fuselage roundel should be a bit wider too, I think.

Just a small suggestion. Otherwise, they're looking great! :ok:

At the risk of being a massive PITA, I think the fuselage roundels could be a bit larger: Almost, but not quite the whole width of the wing.

The white outer ring of the fuselage roundel should be a bit wider too, I think.

Just a small suggestion. Otherwise, they're looking great! ok.gif

The roundels are the stock ones. I still have to make new ones with the white borders and reposition them. Part of the WIP. Is the PC12 color too dark?

Now you mention it, yeah I think it is, just a little.

One other thing: Do you have the F2b without the overwing Lewis? If so, you should use that version for these 11 Sqn skins. The only F2b's that I've seen with the upper gun were all from 22 Sqn, and maybe the odd home defence machine.

Now you mention it, yeah I think it is, just a little.

One other thing: Do you have the F2b without the overwing Lewis? If so, you should use that version for these 11 Sqn skins. The only F2b's that I've seen with the upper gun were all from 22 Sqn, and maybe the odd home defence machine.

This is the only version I have. Is there two versions to download? I wanted to put the "Letter" in the center of the upper wing. But the gun is in the way. Is the other version at Skunkworks? Or did somebody here remove the Lewis gun and post the fix? I'ld rather have that version. And I'll lighten up that paintjob too. Have a Wake to go to tomorrow and a funeral on saturday for my grandfather. God rest his sole. He was a great man. Veteran of WWII and Firefighter.Salute.gif

Quack.

From your description, your grandfather sounds like a genuine, real life, all action hero...You must be very proud of him.

Here's the F2b DATA.INI minus the Lewis. Created by Peter01, not me I hasten to add.

Personally, I have two Bristol Fighters in my objects folder. One named 'F2B', the other titled 'F2B_Lewis'.

Don't forget to change the name of the DATA.INI and Configuration file (and the text section inside it) accordingly.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

F2B_DATA.zip

Thanks bucky. I'll try it out and then I'll move the number or letter decal to the center of the top wing. Over the weekend most likely. Then I'll post everything.

Almost done.

There is a patch of grey on the rear fuselage where the horizontal stabilizers attach to the fuselage. For the life of me I cant figure out were that is on the templateblink.gif . It might have to stay. If the PC12 is still too dark, please let me know (buckygrin.gif ). There was a mixed bag of numbers and letters used on these F2b's. So maybe I'll make one flight (A) with numbers instead of the letters.

Edited by quack74

Sounds like a good idea regarding the numbers for 'A' flight and letters for 'B' and 'C' flights. Thing is though, six planes to a flight would mean there'd be no No.7, and we can't have that, can we?...Therefore, would it be possible to start 'A' flight with No.2 rather than No.1?

The shade of PC10 looks good, but IMHO it tends to make them look like brand new machines, which is okay if that's how you want 'em. But if the PC10 was just a tad lighter, I think your usual excellent weathering would stand out that bit more.

The only other slight innaccuracy I can point out is the size of the serial numbers: They were really quite large on most F2b's, especially on 11 Sqn's. As shown on this profile of McKeever's A-7288:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/brisfit/f2b_mckeever.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/brisfit.htm&usg=__DszcpcPXqZeVl-ufEM7iLu5ibz4=&h=242&w=600&sz=53&hl=en&start=6&sig2=luxb1Lt8ohyUHbh7eWyrHA&itbs=1&tbnid=jkSOivvk7bsXkM:&tbnh=54&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbristol%2Bf2b%2Bfighter%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den&ei=PdlZS8GXOtL4-QbHguQI

Excellent work though, Quack. :clapping:

Edited by Southside Bucky

Therefore, would it be possible to start 'A' flight with No.2 rather than No.1?

The shade of PC10 looks good, but IMHO it tends to make them look like brand new machines, which is okay if that's how you want 'em. But if the PC10 was just a tad lighter, I think your usual excellent weathering would stand out that bit more.

The only other slight innaccuracy I can point out is the size of the serial numbers: They were really quite large on most F2b's, especially on 11 Sqn's. As shown on this profile of McKeever's A-7288:

Well I wanted to just use the game generated letters and numbers and serial numbers, which happen to start at 1 and A and repeat every 16 count up to 99. I would have to create a decal folder for each flight with 99 Letters and or numbers and 99 serial numbers. A whole lot of typingblink.gif . The serial #'s that I used are the stock "Camelserial" numbers from the objects folder. I could try to scale them to make them a bit bigger but they wont be as fat looking. Unless ofcourse I make 99 new serial decalsblink.gif . Now I'll probably end up making all new decalsblink.gif If I dont it will bug me now type.gif ]wacko.gif

Thanks a lot bucky!blowup.gif .........Just playing .grin.gif You're right though they should be accurate. And as for as the PC10 color goes I can still lighten them up a bit. But the way the template is set up It's impossible to really get the weathering the way I would like to. I'll do some more work on it this weekend. I have a funeral tomorrow morning so I dont know when exactly. Soon.

BTW, I dont have a book on the F2b's. Could you (Southside bucky), or anyone tell me the range of serial numbers used on F2b's of No11 Squad so I could do the accurate decals.

Thanks a lot bucky!

LOL!...Anytime, man.

And as for as the PC10 color goes I can still lighten them up a bit. But the way the template is set up It's impossible to really get the weathering the way I would like to.

In that case, leave 'em as they are...They still look good.

BTW, I dont have a book on the F2b's. Could you (Southside bucky), or anyone tell me the range of serial numbers used on F2b's of No11 Squad so I could do the accurate decals.

You can't go wrong if you use either: A-71**, or A-72**.

Cheers, man, and I hope your grandad has a magnificent send off.

Here is A flight with Numbers, B and C flight with letters. The serial numbers have been enlarged and all start with A-71** and A-72**.

Please, if anyone sees anything that needs to be changed let me know. Remember there isnt much I can do with the weathering and fuselage appearance.

Yeah, they look most excellent, Quack. :good:

Shame there's no way to link No.7 to the serial A-7288. No worries though,...I think it'll be possible to make an individual '11 Sqn McKeever' skin by deleting all but the above numbers from the 'Decals' folder.

Any idea what British plane/squadron you're gonna do next?

Yeah, they look most excellent, Quack. good.gif

Shame there's no way to link No.7 to the serial A-7288. No worries though,...I think it'll be possible to make an individual '11 Sqn McKeever' skin by deleting all but the above numbers from the 'Decals' folder.

Any idea what British plane/squadron you're gonna do next?

Thanks bucky. I'll do a seperate skin for A-7288 since it is pretty famous. The skins I do are just random. I've done more Fokker Dr1's and Albatros fighters that I havnt posted yet. Even some Pfalz DIII's. But if you or anyone else has a request, by all means ask. I'll do what ever I cangood.gif

Maybe I'll do F2b's from No.48 Sqn with the two vertical fuselage stripes. I dont know.

I had a bunch of Jasta 15 Albatros D.V's and three Pfalz D.III's from March 1918 when Berthold took over JGII. And I did a few for Bertholds jasta 18 from late 1917, still with the blue and red fuselages. But Saltfiskur posted some of them already. So I'll ask him first. I had to remove the Insignias from his skins so they can be used with the eizencruez and balkencruez markings. There is a line up photo of Jasta 15 in march 1918 with Berthold's Pfalz D.IIIa at the far right of the line up. I did all those aircraft. I think there was 13 or 14 aircraft. I would like to post them all.

...if you or anyone else has a request, by all means ask. I'll do what ever I can.

Now there's an offer I can't refuse...

No obligation of course, but any of these would be nice. In no particular order:

SPAD 7. 19 or 23 Sqns.

Bristol Scout. Yeah, I know it's a mare, but you did make a silk purse out of a pigs ear with the DH4.

Bristol F2b. 39 (Home Defence) Sqn.

Nieuport 16. PC10 or green/brown camo version.

Nieuport 17. 29 Sqn. (With the broad red fuselage band)

RE8. Any squadron will do really, but 52 Sqn with the white zig zag marking looks good.

Camel. 70 Sqn. Overall PC10, including the cowling, and a zig zag sqn marking.

FE2b/d. 100 Sqn. Night bomber in overall black.

If you need references, I'll be happy to help.

I'll start on'em after I post the F2b and Pfalz skins I just did. I will need some references for sure. I'll let you know.

These are now in the FE download section. A Flight, B Flight, and C Flight. Anyone see anything that should be changed let me know here. Enjoy