Sign in to follow this  
jtullman

R-77

I do not want to start some war over which missile is better etc. ! Please do not post blah blah blah Russia's stuff is better, or U.S. stuff is better blah blah blah no one cares....

However, what's the deal with the Vympel R-77. I can't find anything on the net saying that one has even ever been used in a combat situation and it's Falcon 4's DEATH RAY-BEAM. Can you shake one? (I'm sure some guy's gonna be like, yeah all the time) I doubt it, once it's on you it's over. I can dodge the AMRAAM. :good: I think the Falcon guys based this missile off of bad data. :yikes:

Another thing, a radar missile is only as good as the airframe's radar system. Does the MIG-29 (I believe 'S' varient) have good enough avionics to point this missile to pit bull anyway?

Just whining and a little butt hurt. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by jtullman

well, in the case of the R-77 it is not just the airframe radar we are talking about here. Since the R-77, like the AMRAAM, is an active radar missile, the aircraft tells the missile where to point at launch. After it gets within a certain range, the missiles radar takes over. They are also capable of "home on jam", meaning if your ECM is on (first reaction when enemy launches a radar missile) all it does is paint a giant bulls eye on your falcon.

I also play Falcon 4.0: AF, and the only way I have been able to dodge R77s is to put the missile on beam and dive to the deck getting lost in the ground clutter and pumping immense amounts of chaff. Basic missile avoidance, and it doesn't always work :grin:

Indeed the HOJ is a powerful feature. I sure do love it on my AMRAAM's but not when the other guy's got it!. Yeah it's pretty much just basic missile avoidance I just wish I was better that's all.

Indeed the HOJ is a powerful feature. I sure do love it on my AMRAAM's but not when the other guy's got it!. Yeah it's pretty much just basic missile avoidance I just wish I was better that's all.

Same here. I might have had an encounter with a R-77 before, I'm not sure what it was exactly. I was head-on with a SU-27 i avoided the first missile by diving to the deck, but the next two i had no where to go. I will however try the tip about turning off the ECM if i happen to meet another SU-27

"All the time" LOL

Here is a video i posted back in Oct 2006... i'm working on getting a HD one up soon as well.

Hag

PS.. i've dodged 4 or 5 in a head on VS a live red flag as well... scared the other wing enough that they backed off and regouped.... lol

PSS we actually have a "class" on how to defeat inbound missiles at the 72nd... i think we run it once a month or whenever we get shot at.. haha

Edited by Hag

Guest Eject

well, in the case of the R-77 it is not just the airframe radar we are talking about here. Since the R-77, like the AMRAAM, is an active radar missile, the aircraft tells the missile where to point at launch. After it gets within a certain range, the missiles radar takes over. They are also capable of "home on jam", meaning if your ECM is on (first reaction when enemy launches a radar missile) all it does is paint a giant bulls eye on your falcon.

I also play Falcon 4.0: AF, and the only way I have been able to dodge R77s is to put the missile on beam and dive to the deck getting lost in the ground clutter and pumping immense amounts of chaff. Basic missile avoidance, and it doesn't always work :grin:

Hi Sakai, kombanwa? Been long no contact. Kindly see my new attachment in my Reply to Agaphe re my TSUNAMI IN LIBYA?

I agree with u, most of the time my flares could not save me from barrage of SAMs, either when I flew the Russian/Egypt side or the IAF/USAF! But I died only after I sent so many, minimum of 120 souls to their maker. See the awesome effects of my 'tweaked' KAB-500KR v. Primary Target Runway.

Domo arigato...

Edited by Eject

Guest Eject

"All the time" LOL

Here is a video i posted back in Oct 2006... i'm working on getting a HD one up soon as well.

Hag

PS.. i've dodged 4 or 5 in a head on VS a live red flag as well... scared the other wing enough that they backed off and regouped.... lol

PSS  we actually have a "class" on how to defeat inbound missiles at the 72nd... i think we run it once a month or whenever we get shot at.. haha

Hag; did u make ur videos using the Frap? I stopped using it since it make my meagre HDD of 80Gigs cramped! Yes, someone senior here guide me to a free DL for compressing the vids. Hve not tried it yet. Ur second vid is really cool man.

This time, no single SAMs could even touch me. I was in my new IARAF F-16 v. some targets in Israel.

Wow! Last night the engine of the game gave me a MOSSAD HQ to bomb, when all of a sudden my 2-year old lame-duck ACER hanged!!!!

Been searching in the inis of my IsraelMe and Israel 2, the Dimona Nuke factory. None! So, I shall add one as target.

Some way to dogde the R77 is to fly into it at full speed and start doing the barrel roll toward the missile, off course timing is very critical for this work , I have practice it and I would say that my success ratio dogding this missiles is about 40%, if anybody has a better idea i will like to know