Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Books about German Jastas here

It's good. Also get Greg VanWyngarden's Jagdstaffel 2 'Boelcke' von Richthofen's Mentor (Osprey Aviation Elite Units 26). Most, most excellent.

[Edited for typos; pre-coffee.]

Edited by JFM

Olham, for a good all around snippet of the squadrons, the Aircraft of the Aces Series from Osprey is also a good. The Fokker DVII for instance had to be done in 2 volumes. The Albatros book is also quite good.

I agree with ConradB and will add that they have two Albatros D books! One by Norman Franks, one by Greg VanWyngarden.

I second both of those recommendations. I have yet to find one of the WW1 Aircraft of the Aces books that hasn't been worth the expense... and I have most of them.

I agree with ConradB and will add that they have two Albatros D books! One by Norman Franks, one by Greg VanWyngarden.

They have two? I have the one with a painting of Voss' DIII on the cover. What does the other one look like? Also, what other info does have that is different?

Hi, Conrad.

Yes, two! The first one is great but hardly covers everything, eh? Thus, round two with Greg's work, the cover of which features a painting of Udet's D.4476/17 battling a No.41 Squadron D.H.5. There is much more to cover (and even together these books barely scratch the Albatros surface) and GvW deliberately covered topics different than those of the first book and mostly avoided famous Alb aces (MvR, LvR, Wolff, Voss, etc), at least extensive coverage. If nothing else it's worth buying for the photos, which are better than those in Part 1, IMO, although of course I love all of those, too.

Can't have too many Albatros books, I believe. Here, here's an example of GvW's book: http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Albatros-Aces-of-World-War-1-Part-2_9781846031793

Oh yeah, that looks good! I also need to get the DVII part 2 book. I have part 1, but could use some new reading material. Thanks for the link!