Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

HOLY COW!..watch this!

Far out. Really kicks the distorted perception of B&W in the teeth.

Far out. Really kicks the distorted perception of B&W in the teeth.

What I thought most interesting was that one of the planes was a Siemens-Schukert D.I, or at least made to look like one :).

Very cool! That would be an event to go to. Also, if I recall, this link was posted a few weeks back in this forum in another thread, though I can't remember where. But then again I could just be having another senior moment.

The Belgian plane could be a Hanriot. The "Siemens Schuckert" looks very similar.

What I thought most interesting was that one of the planes was a Siemens-Schukert D.I, or at least made to look like one :).

Yes, that's an N11 type repo, however, painted to look like a D.I (and MvR's Dr.1). But the SS D.I was a total rip-off of the N17, so not sure what they were making there.

What I like is that Belgium N17... that looks real. Even the Jasta 15 Hantlemann crate is OK, but an obvious scaled down repop.

Here is there website... it's awesome! Check out all the active units..

http://www.great-war-assoc.org/admin.htm

I think I'll take a drive out there this spring.

OvS

The Belgian plane could be a Hanriot. The "Siemens Schuckert" looks very similar.

The real Siemens-Schuckert D.I was virtually a stick-for-stick copy of the N.17. Apart from the German paintjob, the only visual differences were a Spandau instead of a Vickers and most of the front cowling cut away in pie slices. The plane in the film has those features.

To me, it seems an odd choice if you're going to go to the trouble and expense of owning a WW1 airplane or reproduction. I can't really see anybody growing up wanting to own such a thing, considering its lack of celebrity. Maybe the owner really wanted a German plane, but all he could find at an affordable price was an N.17, so he made it look like the S-S D.I?

I am quite sure those were planes built by members of the Dawn Patrol group, who are very heavy into the N11 and N17 kits and have all the needed jigs and parts sources to put them together at very affordable prices. So, given that, it would make sense to do an SS D.I from an existing, affordable N17 build.

No, it's a N17. The Hanroit closely resembles a Pup. The SS D.I is an N17 in German paint.

I agree Bullet... I'd rather have an Alb D.III or a Fokker D.VI, but as mentioned... it was cheaper to build the N17/SS D.I.

Either way... he has one more WWI crate than I do. ;)

OvS