Sign in to follow this  
feldwebel

Wheel Brakes While Landing

I can land just fine every time now. I read on these forums, however, that wheel brakes shouldn't be used when landing. What, then, are the wheel brakes used for? Just for taxiing? The remark made on here stated that using your wheel brakes would burn out the brakes on a real f-16. So, how is one supposed to slow down enough to taxi and not going flying off the other end of the runway? Does it have to do with aerobraking, only?

Generally brakes are applied once your speed is below 100kts AFAIK. Aerobraking is usually used to get the plane as slow as possible first.

The other trick of the trade would be when you land, keep your nose up and let it drop down on its own. This will signifcantly reduce the speed.

Edited by Fearless

I usually hold the nose up 10 degrees after touchdown until the speed comes down to 95 kts.

After nosewheel down you should have about 80 kts shortly before the RWY board right showing a 1.

( 100 meters, yard ?? ) to the end of the runway. Then brake and the jet will be slow enough to

turn to the last taxiway.