Sign in to follow this  
paul1954

new guy to fe2

Hi all

new to this game, just downloaded it, looks great. are mods for fe ok to use in fe2 and are the user made planes ok to use in fe2

Well I've only played FE2 for a few hours, but here goes ... a bit of detail as there may be others that either want to know either whether mods can be used, or what needs to be done to make things work:

Plane models are generally okay. But I noticed some models have problems (Junkers D1), and 3rd party 2-seaters gunners are white - not sure why, maybe someone else or a modeller can answer that.

FMs that I did (you will need those for addon planes) work well enough (though not as designed, the flight model has changed), but there could be problems with some; maybe takeoff - player or AI, maybe other things. Can't really tell unless they are thoroughly tested. The FMs seem okay as AI as far as I could tell. However you may need to change some pilot models in the data ini if you don't see a pilot, and will need to mod the gunner's guns to original guns for each 2-seater/bomber data ini.

eg in the data ini // Internal Guns section

GunTypeName=7.92MM_PARABELLUM_MG14_Gunner

to ...

GunTypeName=7.92MM_PARABELLUM_MG14

ie, delete the _gunner or _(whatever) at the end.

also true of the Lewis which should be

GunTypeName=303CAL_LEWIS_MK2

eg, if you don't see pilots:

change to wwiPilotNew1 or wwiPilotNew(2-4) depending on nationality in the // Crew section of data ini.

Loadouts like many bombs and rockets (Le Prieurs) won't work. The gundata and weapondata files need to be updated.

The writing on addon hangar screens is now misaligned, FE2 seems to have redrawn the hangar screens - a bit off putting, but playable. Guitarclassic's beautiful and extensive menu interface probably won't look good for a similar reason, but i haven't actually tried it.

Terrain mods seem fine. Jan's current extensive rework works fine too, and looks even better in FE2.

Sound mods seem fine.

Add on campaigns seem okay but you need many of the mods generally for them to work, ie, extra planes, terrains, and other things.

Bottom line is that if things work, they work. If not, you will need to fix yourself, ask here on the forum how to do it, not use the mod, or live with the problems. It is unlikely modders are going to do much to fix things for FE2 as it is not much different as a game to FE1, and it took some time to get FE1 sorted out and mods working well. Fe2 will probably change again when an Expansion Pack comes out, and I guess then most people will move to FE2.

Hope that all makes some sense :dntknw:.

Edited by peter01

Loadouts like many bombs and rockets (Le Prieurs) won't work. The gundata and weapondata files need to be updated.

Individually dropping them in objects folder doesn't work?