Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

SF2V chaff and flares?

I saw AI-planes (F-4-wingman and MiGs!) dropping flares and chaff when fired at yesterday... I was under the impression these were not in use back then!?!?

Your input?

Thanks

Stingray77:

Starting in late '65 or early '66, the Navy began retrofitting some of its aircraft with ECM jamming equipment and chaff dispensers under Operation Shoehorn. In SF2V and the Expansion Pack later Navy aircraft models have jammers and, in some cases, chaff. None have flares. No USAF fighters or attack aircraft have chaff or flares.

No MiGs are configured to use chaff. I did read that a few pilots reported seeing MiG-21s dump flares during Linebacker, so I configured the MiG-21MF (which appears in 1971) for flares. None of the other MiG-21 models have flares.

Eric Howes

Roger that...

I will keep observing this.

Thanks for the info.

(Btw might the fitting OV-10-set just released make it to some future updated version of the XP Gold? That would be cool, I think...)