Sign in to follow this  
don246

FE2 help wanted

Well I purchased FE2 (no food for today now) and installed ok but having problem installing Jans great terrain. Im running XP.

I tried putting Jans terrain folders in the Terrains folder and then into the FE2 folder in my Documents no luck, I noticed in the FE2 Terrains folder there are no folders only two files.

Peter01 in his new FE2 FMs mentioned a Mods folder do I have to make one and put it in my Documents FE2 folder,and were is the sound folder the N17 I copied over has no sound,

Ho my this is not as easy as FE1 so many questions.

We need a sticky on FE2 at the top of this forum

Any help would be most appreciated thanks.

Edited by don246

Ok after one long sort I have sorted it out, one has to put named folders in the FE2 folder in My Documents. Now to try and change the hud details too smaller icons.

• Like 1

Ok after one long sort I have sorted it out, one has to put named folders in the FE2 folder in My Documents. Now to try and change the hud details too smaller icons.

Don,

Now that you have the terrain stuff going, my advice is to copy everything else folder by folder from your FE1 install over to your FE2 mods directory so that your game works exactly like it did with FE1 - Campaigns, Controls, Objects, Flight etc etc, with a couple of exceptions or extra stuff.

Be careful with your Effects Folder - some mods relate to terrains/skies and may not work well with Jan's terrain (true in either FE1 or FE2). If everything works fine in FE1, then just copy everything in the Effects folder over.

After moving folders across, delete your entire Weapons Folder. Install my FE2 game files (in download section), overwriting your gundata files and installing a new Weapons Folder.

Create a Pilots Folder in your Objects Folder. Move your pilot bmps, ini and/or lods from your current FE1 Aircraft Folder to this folder.

The above should be very quick after the terrain installation (the trickiest bit), and once you do that, FE2 should be working fine. Next is the more time consuming and fiddily stuff - and the more skins you have the more work, but it can be done slowly over time.

Create a Decals Folder. You will need this for decals to work properly. One example: fly the F2b say with 11sqn skin. You will notice decals don't show up. Create a directory in the Decals folder called F2B, move your 11sqn skin folder here, then delete everything in that folder except the "decals.ini" and the D Folder. Fly again to see if okay. This needs to be done for all skins, and quite a few planes.

Read this from Laton to fix not seeing props, windshields, parts of planes or gunners that show up as WHITE. http://forum.combatace.com/topic/53119-fe2-converting-my-models/

It is some work, especially the decals but worth it IMO.

Edited by peter01

Thanks Peter your a gem, I have my FE2 running just fine and I even extracted the Flight Data cat and changed the View point for the default cockpit and padlock so my face is not pressed up to close to the guns I don't like the default settings, and the Hud settings.

Thanks Peter your a gem, I have my FE2 running just fine and I even extracted the Flight Data cat and changed the View point for the default cockpit and padlock so my face is not pressed up to close to the guns I don't like the default settings, and the Hud settings.

Ah good. But if you just move everything, you won't need to extract/set/define anything in FE2 - it will be how you have it in FE1.