Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Of interest to some

Yeah, if they ever release them release them, I'll be there in a heartbeat.

As it stands, it would only cost ₤2100.00 to get the records for all the RFC/RAF pilots in OFF.

:sad:

shredward

I've used this resource to do a search of last names which will at least get you the full name of the individual. You can then google the full name along with keywords such as "British War Medal", or "Western Front", or "Royal Flying Corps", etc, and you will often get results that have the information you are looking for. I did this with some of my family surnames to see if I might have had distant relatives who served in the RFC/RAF in the Great War.

I've sat in the PRO (as it was known then) for a few days running my fingers down the lists in ADM273, which is the service records for RNAS Officers during the Great War. Sadly, they aren't alphabetical, and I had to rely on my memory to recognise the names of Aussies. And the photocopying costs from the PRO were pretty prohibitive, but I got maybe 100 or so done.

I am working on a project with a mate of mine, and we're researching all Australians who served in the RNAS in the First Great Unpleasantness. As it stands, our website has short biographical information on all the chaps (almost 200) we've located so far.

http://ozrnas.org.au/index.html

We haven't included any service histories or anecdotes or letters home etc because we are hoping to get that information from living relatives. No. we're not lazy. We have got loads on some of these chaps, but unfortunately we have very little on others. That is what the website is about...collecting information from relatives and friends etc. When we publish the book, it will all be in there, and maybe eventually on the website too.

But you CAN check out brief bios and photos of these chaps for free.

Members of the ASWW1AH will soon be able to access the Barry Videon Database, an extensive database of all the Australians who served in any air service in WW1 (AFC, RFC, RNAS, RAF, GAF). (That's right...German Air Force for want of the correct nomenclature...there were a few Australians that flew for "the other side")

There are some things that are freely given in this world.

Wow Checksix...great website!...and you do the memory of those men justice :drinks:

Wow Checksix...great website!...and you do the memory of those men justice :drinks:

I SECOND THAT!

Aussies, Canucks and Kiwis... and the various other affiliated nationalities. Great service and sacrifice for the Mother Country. That's why my sig. says 'RNAS The Pride of the Commonwealth'. Not ignoring nor diminishing those who served in the RFC, mind.

Edited by Dej

Absolutely Dej

It doesn't matter which colour uniform they wore...anyone man enough to fly one of these crates, and fight an Air Battle, has got to be bloody special!! :drinks: