Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

BMP vs TGA for loadout pics

I have noticed in the various aircraft I have downloaded a white block around the aircraft thumbnail image on the loadout screen. This is caused when the image is a BMP file - Windows Bitmap format doesn't support transparency. However, you can use TGA image format and TARGA images do support transparency, allowing you to block out the white box using an alpha channel, just leaving the aircraft.

Is there a particular reason some people are choosing BMP over TGA? They seem to be about the same size.

If any modder wants their aircraft loadout thumbnail image transferred from BMP to TGA to take advantage of transparency I would be happy to do it. I am a web developer, and while I am a programmer, I can find my way around Photoshop enough to do this.

Anyone interested? I am currently converting all my downloaded birds, so I may have already done your file!

Edited by harryleith

TK made the switch to tga's for the loadout image when SF2 came out in Dec 2008* so obviously the 'back catalogue' from before that date will be bmp. Since then, I've tried to use tga's on my own modest releases and agree that all new releases meant for the SF2 series should have a tga but it's no big problem.

* And, similarly, TK switched to jpg for loading screens.

Thanks Spinners. I am a recent convert, so it is useful to find out this v1 vs v2 stuff. The offer still stands if anyone needs any converting help.