Sign in to follow this  
peter01

Great AI dogfight experience in FE2

TK has made changes to the AI in the FE2 patch. Subtle, but very nice.

They use throttle better. Good for the AI generally, but problem for mine - they zoom around quicker. But easily fixed. They are also better shots!

The AI flying a long time with damaged engines isn't gone, but far far better and a nice balance, and some do nice forced landings, seems improved. They don't appear to fight back as previously without working engines, they either just concentrate on a forced landing or fly off and crash - but lose height quicker than before, hence crash faster. Minor improvements, but they make a difference.

But my great AI experience? Well I have never had a good dogfight once you get to 300-400ft. The AI gives up. It seems TK has improved this. I started the dogfight against an Alb D2 in a Spad 7 at 3000ft, went down to 300ft over 5 mins (the Alb D2s tend to dive to get out of trouble), and as always, I thought it was over as it usually is.

Not so. I peppered the Alb D2 at first thinking I would finish him off, but it then climbed to 600-700ft (never happened before to me, unless I left it alone or coerced it to go back up), I followed, and the Alb started attacking me again.

This was repeated several times for 5 mins or more, and I was finally shot me by the Alb diving from 400ft at me at 200ft - unusual too, maybe never seen this either.

It was great - partly because this has never happened before, and partly because it was a lot of fun having a tough dogfight at tree top level (well, tall tree top level).

TK has made a number of improvements with FE2. Apart from the graphics, all subtle, but it is indeed a major improvement over FE1.

If you like or play FE a lot, definitely get FE2.

Edited by peter01